cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Create an item when a file is created

Hi All, 

I am trying to create flow which is triggered by when a file is created, the rows are extracted and finally the contents then create item(s) in a list. 

I know how to import rows from an already existing file on a site. The problem I am encountering is that when I try and obtain the file name and extension and concatenate it to document path, the file can not be found. Not sure if I need to be using the full site path or the path provided is already relative.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ironlungz

Do you want to get rows from an excel file when the excel file is created in sharepoint library and then create items in sharepoint list with those rows?

If yes, I afraid that you couldn't achieve your needs in microsoft flow currently.

Since you could only get rows from an existing excel file in in sharepoint library currently, you couldn't get rows from a new created excel file which is created when the flow is triggered.

If you would like to get rows from an excel file when the excel file is created in sharepoint library in microsoft flow, you could submit an idea to flow idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Ironlungz:

Can you post a screen shot of your Flow?  That will make it much easier to assist.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ironlungz

Do you want to get rows from an excel file when the excel file is created in sharepoint library and then create items in sharepoint list with those rows?

If yes, I afraid that you couldn't achieve your needs in microsoft flow currently.

Since you could only get rows from an existing excel file in in sharepoint library currently, you couldn't get rows from a new created excel file which is created when the flow is triggered.

If you would like to get rows from an excel file when the excel file is created in sharepoint library in microsoft flow, you could submit an idea to flow idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

Hi Alice,

Yes that is exactly what I would like to do. I have tried getting the file path, file name and extension of when a file is created into a variable and feed the variables back to a 'get rows from excel' action but I understand the file needs to be already in sharepoint. And there is no way that I know that flow can bypass file validation prior to the flow at runtime.

I will raise the idea on the link. Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,408)