cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper II
Helper II

Create excel table when a file is created in sharepoint

Hello,

Got a team that needs to update a sharepoint data base.

Data of the sharepoint data base come from a CRM. 

My solution by now is for them to: 1. Run a report in the CRM with the data they need -> 2. Download the report as an excel file -> 3. Upload the excel file to a sharepoint folder (Trigger action of the flow) -> 4. Create a table with the excel file uploaded -> Update the sharepoint list & add the new items with the data obtained from the process. 

I don't know how to do this by now, it is retrieving an error when testing. this is what I have thought by now. 

image.png

This is the error message with the actual set up: 

"Cannot find resource for the request csv."

I really don't know what to do. Please help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @LuisGuzman98 

A few limitations of the Excel online connectors in flow is that 

You cannot dynamically provide a file to the file option on the action. You will actually have to click the folder icon and navigate to the file and select it. This means that your excel file needs to be present in the document library and only then you can access it in the Flow. If you are creating an excel in the flow and want to access it in that flow only, it is not supported directly right now. 

Same goes with List rows in a table action where you will have to provide the file and then the table too. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Helper II
Helper II

Hi me, 

Already found the problem:

1. The File slot should be filled out for this case with the 'File identifier', not the file name. That was a main problem. 

2. The excel File i was uploading wasn't a normal type of excel it is called: 'Microsoft Excel Comma Separated values', apparently (or at least for me) this type of file doesn't work with flows excel online connectors even though it could be opened with it. **Just worked when the file was a normal 'Excel workbook' type of file.**

So I was uploading this type of unreadable file for flows and trying to reach to it with all the dynamic vatriables and all gave some error because of that.

The correct variable for this action  it is the sharepoint file identifier. 

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @LuisGuzman98 

A few limitations of the Excel online connectors in flow is that 

You cannot dynamically provide a file to the file option on the action. You will actually have to click the folder icon and navigate to the file and select it. This means that your excel file needs to be present in the document library and only then you can access it in the Flow. If you are creating an excel in the flow and want to access it in that flow only, it is not supported directly right now. 

Same goes with List rows in a table action where you will have to provide the file and then the table too. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helper II
Helper II

Hi me, 

Already found the problem:

1. The File slot should be filled out for this case with the 'File identifier', not the file name. That was a main problem. 

2. The excel File i was uploading wasn't a normal type of excel it is called: 'Microsoft Excel Comma Separated values', apparently (or at least for me) this type of file doesn't work with flows excel online connectors even though it could be opened with it. **Just worked when the file was a normal 'Excel workbook' type of file.**

So I was uploading this type of unreadable file for flows and trying to reach to it with all the dynamic vatriables and all gave some error because of that.

The correct variable for this action  it is the sharepoint file identifier. 

You have really made a someone happy today ! Thank you for sharing this solution !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (20,073)