cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emmahuynh
Level: Powered On

Create item in secondary SP List from another SP List with LookUp column Type

Hello teams,

I have 2 SP lists, parent list is Ideas with 2 columns SSRP and Name. The child list is Status with 3 columns Title (column type: Single line of text), Status_SSRP and Status_Name (both are Lookup column type, which look up from Ideas list above).

When a new item is created in Ideas list, I want to have that item is added to Status list as well.

But, I see that only Title has Dynamic content to find value from Parent list, the Lookup column type Status_SSRP shows up but not have Dynamic content.

The flow works, but it only adds the Title in the child list, other columns have no data.

Is there any ways to use Flow to create Child List item with lookup column type ? thanks so much

mai.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
emmahuynh

Re: Create item in secondary SP List from another SP List with LookUp column Type

Or is there any Expression syntaxes that I can bring the SSRP value from Parent list to child list

Super User
Super User

Re: Create item in secondary SP List from another SP List with LookUp column Type

Hey Buddy,

I do not have a example right now but what you can do is, add a item in your list manually and then use Get Item and pass the ID to retrieve it in flow, you will then see the format of the content it is expecting. It will likely be some JSON with the ID included!.

emmahuynh

@Gristy 

Could you please get into a it details?

Here, after Creating   item -> then use Compose to store only ID from newly created -> next, I Get Items

It works, I can extract the ID. However, in the Create Item section, Title and Test_ID are single line of text type columns, so I can have the ID for it in the Child List.

But look at the SSRP_ID in the dashed box (it's Lookup Column Type), I can add the output of Compose  inside  , but it   does n't show in the Child List.

My main concern is that Can we use Flow to create item with Column Type in SharePoint List is Lookup? or Flow only works with Single Line of Text column type?

Thanks

mai3.jpg

Super User
Super User

Hey

Sorry for the confusion.

In the field Test ID you can just pass the ID of a item from the test list and it will work. I have tested this for you. However your fields are showing differently, this is how a lookup field shows up in a flow: 

Annotation 2020-01-09 082146.png

emmahuynh

@Gristy  Thanks for your response. My Lookup section doesn't allow me to add anything except the Outputs from Compose and value.

If I add the Output, nothing shows in the Child List.

If I add the values, it pulls all values from the Parent List to this field, and these values don't include the newly added item. I don't know what happen to my Lookup field, but doesn't give me the option to choose ID.

I only want to pull the data for the Lookup field. Do you have any thoughts.

mai1.jpg

Super User
Super User

the value should be ID not SSRP_ID, it needs to be ID of the value you are linking to in the lookup list so you need to get that value first

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,652)