Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TTMan
Level: Powered On

Creating a new Excel file populated based on Forms responses

Hi all

I am new to Flow, so please bare with me if this is a basic question...

I have a scoping questionnaire in a MS Form, the responses to which will dictate if I ask a second set of related questions. So for example, if answer to Q1 = Yes, I will want to ask question subset A. What I am hoping is that I can use Flow to dynamically create the second questionnaire file, based on the responses in the Form. 

I have tried using the SharePoint "Create file" action, and adding a .xlsx or .xls extension to the dynamically assigned file name, but neither of the generated files open. Using a .csv extension works, but then I cannot use the "Get row" Excel action, to populate the .csv using my question bank, as Flow will not detect the csv file. 

Is there an easy way to create a new Excel file (xlsx format) on SharePoint using Flow? Or convert the csv? I tried using the Premium Cloudmersive connector to convert csv to xlsx, but my flow would always complete without generating a new file 😕 

Thanks in advance for any guidance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Creating a new Excel file populated based on Forms responses

Hi @TTMan ,

I'm afraid that your requirement couldn't be achieved since there is no any way to create a new Excel file and insert row to in a single flow.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @TTMan ,

I'm afraid that your requirement couldn't be achieved since there is no any way to create a new Excel file and insert row to in a single flow.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

TTMan

Thanks for the reply Alice - I am surprised that something that can be achieved with a right click and a couple of context menu clicks cannot be achieved using this powerful tool! Maybe something for the roadmap. I will try figure out a workaround or alternate approach...

CJbass
Level: Power Up

Hello, I'm new to Flow as well, but working in it today I noticed that the Form has a Branching option.

Considering your need to ask a different set of questions, could you use this Branching feature to redirect the following questions down a different path?

BranchingOption.png

TTMan

Thanks for the suggestion, however I have a requirement to create the secondary larger question set in Excel format. As a workaround I am currently using a pre-created blank spreadsheet hosted on SharePoint and then using "Get rows" and then "Add rows to table" (using ODATA filter queries in Flow) to meet my need - however it is still a work in progress

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,287)