cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myNameIsA-aron
Level: Power Up

Creating an "If a file is opened" trigger

I'm looking for a way to create a read receipt for a client. I know there isnt a "if a file is opened" trigger, but is there any other ideas on once a file is opened, I could write the users name to another list as an acknowledgment?

Initially I created a manual trigger that "for a selected file" if wrote the username and file name to another list, but my issue is that it only worked on non-mobile devices and the primary need was for mobile functionality. My second thought was the auto trigger when a file was opened. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Creating an "If a file is opened" trigger

Hi @myNameIsA-aron ,

Flow doesn’t have a trigger for “When a file is opened”. You may try if the following two ways will be a workaround for you.

First, please consider creating a Custom connector, by describing the API you want to connect to, the connector understands the API’s operation and data structure.

More details about Custom connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/define-blank

Second way is combing with PowerApps. If you are also familiar with PowerApps, you could add a button with Launch function to open the file. Then a flow with PowerApps button trigger to collect data from PowerApps to save to SharePoint list.

I have made the following test for your reference.

Set up the flow likes below:

1.PNG

Add the flow on the button, and set the button’s OnSelect property with the following statement. Then once the current user clicks the button to open the file, his info will be recorded into SharePoint list as well.

Launch("https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/:x:/r/Test4Testing/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc=%7Ba432e102-681e-47bb-a0ec-71fe2fe37ec2%7D&action=default&uid=%7BA432E102-681E-47BB-A0EC-71FE2FE37EC2%7D&ListItemId=239&ListId=%7BF8790D59-D66E-4920-8B7B-2D186DE300B8%7D&odsp=1&env=prod");'PowerApp->Createitem'.Run(User().Email)

2.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

This isn't something possible with Flow, as Flow is not a security and governance tool. This type of security auditing should be done at the system or platform level.

For Office 365, you can access these tools at https://protection.office.com or by choosing Security & Compliance Center from the Office 365 portal:audit employees in SharePoint

You can also enable directly from within SharePoint: 

To offer similar reporting on Windows-based systems, you'd have to utilize a security product of some sort. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @myNameIsA-aron ,

Flow doesn’t have a trigger for “When a file is opened”. You may try if the following two ways will be a workaround for you.

First, please consider creating a Custom connector, by describing the API you want to connect to, the connector understands the API’s operation and data structure.

More details about Custom connector:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/custom-connectors/define-blank

Second way is combing with PowerApps. If you are also familiar with PowerApps, you could add a button with Launch function to open the file. Then a flow with PowerApps button trigger to collect data from PowerApps to save to SharePoint list.

I have made the following test for your reference.

Set up the flow likes below:

1.PNG

Add the flow on the button, and set the button’s OnSelect property with the following statement. Then once the current user clicks the button to open the file, his info will be recorded into SharePoint list as well.

Launch("https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/:x:/r/Test4Testing/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc=%7Ba432e102-681e-47bb-a0ec-71fe2fe37ec2%7D&action=default&uid=%7BA432E102-681E-47BB-A0EC-71FE2FE37EC2%7D&ListItemId=239&ListId=%7BF8790D59-D66E-4920-8B7B-2D186DE300B8%7D&odsp=1&env=prod");'PowerApp->Createitem'.Run(User().Email)

2.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 277 members 6,533 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: