cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ZvSupport
Level: Powered On

Creating and Using Variables in a SharePoint Specific Flow

Ok, as a longtime user of SharePoint Designer for creating workflows, I’m a little stumped as to how to easily create/use variables in a SharePoint specific Flow.

What I’m trying to do was pretty straight forward before in SP Designer (sorry to bring that up again):

When a new list item is created, I want to check the user input values in various columns (single text value select type). Depending on what drop down option they select in each column, I want to represent that selection with a corresponding number value. I want to have the workflow add all of these numerical values together and put the resulting total in another column in the same list item (called the ‘Grade’).

In SP Designer, I would have simply created three variables (without the need for coding to set and initiate): One variable would temporarily be assigned and hold the corresponding value for the current column being evaluated, the second variable would be used in the calculation to add this to the cumulative value of all the columns evaluated, and perhaps a third variable would hold the final total that would be used to populate the numeric Grade column at the end of the workflow process.

I’ve seen certain Flow examples that appear to show that I can implement the use of variables to accomplish this, but I have not figured out how best to implement it with SP. I also wonder if there is a simple interface option for creating such variables and use them throughout the Flow without having to dive into coding to do it.

If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,650)