cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eurosiderscalo
Level: Powered On

Creating child automatically from DB

Hello,

I have a strange request but I will try to find a solution about that.
I have a DB in excel format and I want to share it on OneDrive or Excel Online. This file have a bit of data inside and in the second column there is a sort of "category".

What I want to do is generete a child-pages for every single category in sharepoint or excel online format.

I attach an image for example.

Is there a way to do that with flows automatically?

example.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Creating child automatically from DB

@Eurosiderscalo 

Do you have fixed values for your column 2?If yes this can be achieved using a switch case based on the identfier item. 

Hope this Helps!

Super User
Super User

@Eurosiderscalo wrote:

Hello,

I have a strange request but I will try to find a solution about that.
I have a DB in excel format and I want to share it on OneDrive or Excel Online. This file have a bit of data inside and in the second column there is a sort of "category".

What I want to do is generete a child-pages for every single category in sharepoint or excel online format.

I attach an image for example.

Is there a way to do that with flows automatically?

example.jpg

What you are seeking to do can be accomplished, and as @yashag2255 alluded to, a switch case could do the trick. If you'd like to know more about switch chases, I'd encourage you seeing previous posts here on the forums

With that said, unless you set strict guidelines for your flows, with possible delays build in, it likely won't work because you are using excel. The excel connectors are never recommended by Flow experts, because of their known severe issues and limitations, including file lockouts of 6-12 minutes at a time, and their low API call limts. 

I'd strongly suggest rethinking your Flow architecture, and consider utilizing SharePoint Lists over Excel where you can. Lists are never locked out, and they have 600 API calls per 60 seconds, rather than 100 for Excel. In the end, you could then export them to Excel as needed.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Eurosiderscalo

Thanks for the answers but unfortunately the values in column 2 are not fixed because It's like a "category" formatted by a number from our supplier.

I know "switch case" option and I use it in another flow.

v-lin-msft
Level 10

Hi @Eurosiderscalo,

Is the category you say updated from frequently? Do new categories appear on your master list every now and then? In your case, you are using Numbers to represent their category, and is that the case in reality?

If a new category appears on your master list, and the category is known, you can create a table of the category in advance and use Switch to implement it. If it's unknown, it's a little hard to do in excel.

In your instance, I see that you represent categories in numerical terms, I know you represent them in code terms, but if it is the actual situation, can you also represent them in numerical terms? If so, it would be easier to implement the first of my Suggestions.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Eurosiderscalo

I attach a screenshot to let you know what I mean. the "DDT" field is like a "category".
Now I would like to create several sharepoint lists that group the category.
For example, I would like to generate a data page with all the DDTs 449, one with all the DDTs 452 etc. automatically.
Is it possible to create it with a flow?

Cattura
v-lin-msft
Level 10

Hi @Eurosiderscalo,

Have you resolved your problem?

You can refer to this flow configuration:Annotation 2019-06-27 101658.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lin Tu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,961)