Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Brendenward
Level: Powered On

Creating flow to wait until a field changes

Hi,

I've created a flow with a Do-until action, basically the worklow starts by a user creating a list item, it then actions on create item. It sends email to the person who created it and the department who needs to action the request.

I've added a Do-Unit action this is to Wait for a field Status changes to Answered it then emails the creater an email saying its been answered, what happened is the workflow went into a loop and spammed everyone :-( any ideas on how I can get this workflow to wait till a field changes and then send email out without going in a loop?

Flow do until loop issues.jpg

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks

Brenden

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Creating flow to wait until a field changes

@Brendenward :

A better way to approach this might be to have a Flow that runs when an item has changed.  The Flow can check the value of the Request Status column and send email as appropriate.  No need for a loop.

Another option might be to use a Send Email with Options action in place of the first email.  The Flow will pause until there is an email response.  You can take action ( update list item, send email, etc.) depending on the response.

Please note that Flows will run for a maximum of 30 days - that is one reason to stay away from a loop.

If this addresses your issue, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my solution, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Brendenward

Hi,

I've create this workflow but nothing appears to be happening any ideas what is wrong?

image.png

Super User
Super User

@Brendenward :

When you say nothing happens, can you be more specific?  Does the Flow run?  If so are there errors? Can you post a screen shot from the run history?

Also, is the request column you reference in your condition a choice column?  If so, you need to reference the column name "Value" in Dynamic properties.  So if the column is "Request Status", you should reference "Request Status Value".

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Brendenward

Hi,

For the moment I've done a workflow in sharepoint designer just to get us started as limited time to get this working.

>