cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfielder
Frequent Visitor

Customize Column Widths of Create HTML Table in Summary Email

I have a Daily Summary Email i am working on. The 3 columns it pulls from a SharePoint Document Library is a Title, a Summary Text column, and the link to the file.

I have it becoming a table with a compose step before to modify the table like so:

jfielder_0-1613753182715.png

i need to adjust the link column to be 25% of the 100% and i can't figure out how to do that. I would also like if possible to change the text on the hyperlink, but I'm not sure that's possible. 

2 REPLIES 2
tkat

I have the exact same issue. I used Ryan Maclean's CSS code (below) to format the table but I need the first column to be a fixed width (or autofit) and not wrap the header text. A bonus would be to limit text in the second column so that it's only a preview. I've tagged @eliotcole and @ScottShearer; these superheroes helped me last week although I imagine you've already resolved this since it's been a long while. 

<style>
table {
border: 1px solid #1C6EA4;
background-color: #EEEEEE;
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
border-collapse: collapse;
}
table td, table th {
border: 1px solid #AAAAAA;
padding: 3px 2px;
}
table tbody td {
font-size: 15px;
}
table thead {
background: #364248;
border-bottom: 2px solid #444444;
}
table thead th {
font-size: 15px;
font-weight: bold;
color: #FFFFFF;
border-left: 2px solid #D0E4F5;
}
table thead th:first-child {
border-left: none;
}
</style>

eliotcole
Power Participant
Power Participant

I'll have a proper look later, and bless you to the great lord Ayrton Senna da Silva for your compliment, because I am certainly no super hero ... but on the surface that looks like mighty fine CSS.

You could also use a text replace  to insert CLASSes or IDs into the HTML (and the 'A' links) created throughout.

If your looks are just links, then I could  also suggest using any relevant text that comes with them and making proper links with text.

Alternatively, it's very understandable for emails to not do that, because:

• Avoiding spam issues.
  • Accessibility (reader issues for the blind) issues.
  • Transparency from a business perspective.
  • It's  just easier 😅.

In which case you might not want them formatted as literal links at all. But if you do still want to you can still make the HTML useful, because good HTML (in my humble opinion) indicates what things actually are.

For example  if I'm  listing the indexia credits on a comic book, like so:

•  Title: Sensational Spider-Man Annual#1
  •  Writer: Matt Fraction
  •  Artist: Salvador Larocca

I would want to put a SPAN tag around "Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1" with the CLASS of "comicTitle" to indicate what it is.

This allows people exactly like the kind of nerds that hang out on a Microsoft automation community to extract the information that they want, accurately.

I don't have access to full formatting here so I'll skip the full code, but  that would be <SPAN CLASS="comicTitle">Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1</SPAN> for that example.

Anyway, all of that is just to say that you could put the CLASS of "link" or make incremental IDs of "link001", "link002", "link003", etc.

If I think of more I'll either edit in, or post again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,536)