cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
boesis
Level: Powered On

Daily refresh from Dynamics 365 in Excel on OneDrive

I have downloaded a dynamic Excel from Dynamics 365 onto my personal OneDrive. Currently I update this sheet on a daily basis by opening it and clicking the "Refresh from Dynamics 365" button under the Data tab in Excel. The data is then automatically imported to another service (Clicdata) on a daily basis. I would like to avoid the manual update of the excel sheet and have it be updated automatically. I don't know if flow is the right tool for this but I feel that it could be. If you have alternative suggestions for how to do this, let me know as well.

I tried creating a flow that is triggered automatically on a daily basis. I connected to my personal OneDrive and selected the "Update file" action for the file in question. This is where I am stuck. It asks me for "file content" and tells me that there is no dynamic content in the file, which is not true as the dynamic content comes from Dynamics 365. 

Did I select the correct action? Do I need to connect the flow with Dynamics as well somehow? If yes, how? What am I doing wrong? Is it possible to do what I want to do using Flow?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Daily refresh from Dynamics 365 in Excel on OneDrive

Hi @boesis,

Where you downloaded the Excel from Dynamics 365, and which data stored in the Excel?

Currenlty Microsoft Flow supports the following action with Dynamics 365:

47.PNG

If the Excel file is an entity from Dynamics 365, then we could take use of Microsoft Flow to automatically update it, otherwise, I don't think it is possible.

Please take a look at the following article first:

Create a flow by using Dynamics 365(Online)

You may alos take the available template as a reference:

Dynamics 365

To update Excel, we need a whole file, but currenlty it seems there is no way to make the entity act as a single file.

If we use the list records, it would require a condition to match the Excel Row for each record, which would need to configure Nested Apply to each, and this is not work currently.

Have you tried the Dyanmics 365 workflows?I am not familiar with that, you may consider ask in the Dynamics forum and see if any further suggestion could be offered there:

https://community.dynamics.com/enterprise

Regards

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
boesis
Level: Powered On

Re: Daily refresh from Dynamics 365 in Excel on OneDrive

Thanks for the suggestions!

I had a discussion with a colleague yesterday and we will investigate if we can send the data per email directly to Clicdata using a workflow in Dynamics 365.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,894)