cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerb1
Frequent Visitor

Dataflow Resfresh Scheduling

Hi all,

Based on a pre defined schedule I would like to refresh Power BI dataflows sequentially. As a test I have created three dataflows and defined the priority in a simple Excel table. So I loop over this table and try to refresh each flow one by one. This flow however seems only to refresh the first dataflow and sometimes also the second; otherwise it just continues running and will give an error after a while (the backend request failed with error code '404').

If I however replace the 'Refresh a dataflow' step by mail; then i will receive three emails; one for eacht dataflow in table. PLease see picture for the flow. Any ideas about what could be going wrong here?

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

Eventually all dataflows were refreshed but the flow was not succesfull. I receive the following error message:

UNEXPECTED500: Action 'JsonifyRefresh', Message: 'Unexpected error happened while reading refresh information from Workspace', Request Id: '795ec710-865f-422d-97e8-9e0305ec8180', Details: Index was outside the bounds of the array., Info (backend): [StatusCode: 200, Reason: OK]

powerb1_0-1614251782073.png

EDIT 2:

I found out what the issue is, but nut sure how to solve. The 'Refresh a dataflow' step requests the following inputs:

Group Type
workspaceTypeTruestring

Select workspace or environment

Group
groupIdForRefreshDataflowTruestring

The unique identifier of the workspace or environment

Dataflow
dataflowIdForRefreshDataflowTruestring

The unique identifier of the dataflow

dataflowIdForRefreshDataflow seems to be a concatination of DataflowId, -, [code], -, DataflowName

I am just not sure what this code is. It consists of 9 characters. Anyone any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
powerb1
Frequent Visitor

@v-duann-msft 

Thanks for you input, but unfortunately above does not work for me. I am using the existing action 'Refresh a dataflow'.

I found the solution however. This specific action requires the following inputs:

powerb1_0-1614251206180.png

• For Group it needs the workspaceId
  • For Dataflow it needs a concatinated string of the dataflowId, a specifc code string and the dataflow name. I was not sure how to retrieve the 'specifc code string' as i call it, but it seems to be always the same code; so i just copied it hardcoded.

To find out what this code is; you can create this action by selecting a dataflow in the dropdown. Then go to 'peek code' and here you can see what this action uses for dataflow. Based on this you can then enter custom value.

Example

I would like to refresh my dataflow named 'Employee', then:

- Group = [workspaceId]

- Dataflow = [dataflowId-code-dataflowName]

Use case

I have an Excel sheet where I register all my dataflows and the parent child relations. With flow I automatically trigger these dataflows to run sequentially at specific times/intervals.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-duann-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerb1 

Thank you for posting.

According to your description, you are using flow to update data to dataflow. But error appears due to lack of input.

Actually, we can use you can use the http request to update the Power BI dataFlows with Flow, this is the refresh Dataflow API document of PowerBi. Please check below links for further information:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/dataflows/refreshdataflow

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Community-Blog/Custom-Connector-in-Power-Automate...

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Refresh-Power-BI-DataFlows-with-Flow/td-p/385778

The dataflow ID may look like as below:

v-duann-msft_0-1614144500549.png

Hope the content above may help you.

Thanks

Anna

powerb1
Frequent Visitor

@v-duann-msft 

Thanks for you input, but unfortunately above does not work for me. I am using the existing action 'Refresh a dataflow'.

I found the solution however. This specific action requires the following inputs:

powerb1_0-1614251206180.png

• For Group it needs the workspaceId
  • For Dataflow it needs a concatinated string of the dataflowId, a specifc code string and the dataflow name. I was not sure how to retrieve the 'specifc code string' as i call it, but it seems to be always the same code; so i just copied it hardcoded.

To find out what this code is; you can create this action by selecting a dataflow in the dropdown. Then go to 'peek code' and here you can see what this action uses for dataflow. Based on this you can then enter custom value.

Example

I would like to refresh my dataflow named 'Employee', then:

- Group = [workspaceId]

- Dataflow = [dataflowId-code-dataflowName]

Use case

I have an Excel sheet where I register all my dataflows and the parent child relations. With flow I automatically trigger these dataflows to run sequentially at specific times/intervals.

View solution in original post

KimP
Frequent Visitor

Hi @powerb1,

I was excited when I found this post as I've been trying to figure out what was going wrong. 

When I select Workspace and Dataflow from the drop down the flow runs successfully.

When I try to make it dynamic (initially just selecting the GUID for Workspace and Dataflow from a SharePoint list from the previous step), the Dataflow refresh actually triggers successfully but the Flow fails with the same error you had.

So following your post, I changed the dynamic content to be DataflowID-code-DataflowName and the Dataflow triggered as expected (but so did all previous flow success' and failures) but the flow failed again. I've checked the output and it matches the successful run.

KimP_0-1616126910807.png

Do you have any ideas what may be going wrong?

Thanks.

KimP
Frequent Visitor

And now with no further changes, it is running successfully in true PowerAutomate style. Thank you for your post. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,478)