cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomasj2

Determine approver based on submission information

Hi!

I have a Power App Canvas form that writes back to a SharePoint list. This information needs to go for approval based on one of the fields that the requester supplies (content-specific). The email addresses for the approvers are not included in the form as requesters will not know who to select (and to protect the approvers' inboxes). Multiple content-specific options can be selected, potentially requiring multiple, parallel approvals. 

I am a Power Automate novice, so this might be (hopefully is) a softball.

The SharePoint list doesn't have the email address of the approver(s) present, and it is dependent on the information submitted - so I cannot just add a blanket email. I also cannot go in and update the SharePoint list via lookup every time one is submitted, but maybe I misunderstand Lookup in SharePoint lists. 

Ideally would like the Flow to work like this (in non-Flow language):
When an item is created in SharePoint List > the email address of the approver(s) is determined > SharePoint updated to show approvers > an approval is sent to the single or group of approvers with all of the information submitted in the SharePoint > Approved/Denied > Approval status is updated in the SharePoint List > Email sent to requester

Any help would be so very much appreciated!!!

2 REPLIES 2
David-
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

What is your logic then to determine who the approver is? I have many solutions with approvals based on a "Cost Center" list, which contains the e-mail of the cost center owner and the controller for the cost center (they're actually people fields). In the form when it is submitted, the person needs to choose the cost center. They don't need to know who the cost center owner or controller are, but they do need to know the cost center where they want to post a charge. 

Is this similar to what you need? If so, then you just do a lookup in your external list to get the approvers who correspond to the choice selected.

thomasj2

In the form, the requester has to submit the subject that the resource focuses on (ELA, Math, Science, SS, etc.). This determines which director would receive the request to approve (or not). Anything that was approved content-wise would then go to finance for approval. 

It sounds like your solution may work for me...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,752)