cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different column tag options per set of different folders

Hello, 

Does anyone know if it's possible to set different column tags depending on which folder document is being uploaded to?

The only similar thing I was able to achieve was to create a Term set, but it doesn't solve the problem completely as someone can still pick a root Term as a tag, instead of using a root Term only as a reference for its tags.

Veingro_0-1608635921512.png

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@annajhaveri Hi Anna, do you have any idea if it's possible or maybe can you suggest a different solution, please?

🙂

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If you want to automatically apply the correct term value based on a folder you can just used the Column default value settings of a SharePoint library. You won't need to create a Power Automate flow for this.

1. Setup your specific folders and create your metadata column (in my example CustomMetadata).

2. Go to Library Settings > Column default value settings

columndefaultvaluesettings.png

3. Set up the default term value per folder (in my example FolderA with term value Microsoft Teams)

defaultvalueperfolder.png

4. Test it by uploading and creating a couple of files, it should inherit the value from the folder

testingexample_metadata.png

Hope this helps a bit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Expiscornovus and thank you, however I don't want to automatically apply values to documents based on folder name, I want to create options of values for this particular folder and different values for different folders.

So document uploaded in folder A can have options : 1-5
in folder B: 6-9, 

but all 1-9 option have to be within one column. 

Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for clarifying your requirements.

As far as I am aware this is not possible from a SharePoint interface perspective. You are associating the whole term set to one specific column. So, it's also possible for the end user to select items from that whole term set. That won't be filtered.

An alternative solution would be the creation of an SPFx control to interact with that term set and pre filter it by using code: https://pnp.github.io/sp-dev-fx-property-controls/controls/PropertyFieldEnterpriseTermPicker/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Looks tough, but I will give it a try. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Expiscornovus Hi, me again. 😉 Let's say I want to go with the column default value setting, but- the folders are not there yet. They will be created automatically triggered by adding a list item. At this point I can't configure this setting as I can only see one location- which is my library in general. 

Veingro_0-1608732184854.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,018)