cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peteaxtell
Helper I
Helper I

Disable or modify the default approval email

The formatting of the approval email needs to be customisable. Currently it is only possible to format the details using markdown, but all parts of the email need updating not just the details. Seeing as it is not possible to format the email, I would prefer to disable it and just use Teams, but it is not possible to disable notifications for email only, you have to disable both emails and Teams, or neither.

Another option might be to disable notifications and send a custom teams message with the adaptive card from the approval, but this sends directly to a user rather than notifying about a new approval which is not suitable.

That leaves only one option - disable notifications for email and teams and then send a custom adaptivecard email containing the approve/reject buttons. I have created the email and the card displays correctly, but the 'submit' button is not actioning the approval. My submit button is posting to 

https://flow.microsoft.com/manage/environments/<envid>/approvals/received/<approvalid>?loginTenant=<...

I notice the URL for the submit card when using the default approval email is

https://flow.microsoft.com/manage/environments/<envid>/approvals/received/<approvalid>/requests/<gui...

Is there a reason that the default approval email submits the response but my custom one does not?

5 REPLIES 5
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

@peteaxtell  so you not using the approval action adaptive card, but using custom adaptive card which uses approval URL of approval action?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
peteaxtell
Helper I
Helper I

correct - the approval adaptive card cannot be customised enough. I need a custom adaptive card that has approval buttons. a link to the approval in the browser would not be acceptable.

@peteaxtell  in that case you need not be depending on default approval action, have you tried using "Post an Adaptive Card to a Teams user and wait for a response"? Is there any specific reason you want to use the default approval action URL?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
peteaxtell
Helper I
Helper I

Without using approvals, we would not be able to make use of the approvals feature within Teams. And as I said in my original post:

Another option might be to disable notifications and send a custom teams message with the adaptive card from the approval, but this sends directly to a user rather than notifying about a new approval which is not suitable.

@peteaxtell  as far as i know i dont think we can change the default approval decision from custom adaptive card

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Users online (2,425)