cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
eenochs
Level: Powered On

Do Until Confusion

I'm working on a flow that is waiting on a field to be not empty.  below is a screen shot of the Do until portion.  What i would like for it to do is when i enter in something in the field for it to process the changes.  For my Do Until limits i have counts set to nothing and timeout for 72 hours.  I just can't figure out the right way for this to work.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

flow-dountil.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CP153319
Level 8

Re: Do Until Confusion

I had a similar issue when I was trying to set up "Reminder" emails in an approval flow (I wanted to send out a reminder Email every 3 days if the person hadn't approved or rejected an approval). I started out trying to use the "null" thing where if the flow saw an empty field it would trigger the reminder Email.

I could not get this to work...

The way I got it to work was to take advantage of the "Default Text" functionality in SharePoint lists so that instead of being empty the field contained the word "Pending". With that default word "Pending" in the field I set up the condition to only run if field still contained the word "Pending" (If the approver had approved or rejected the field would be changed to "Approve" or "Reject" and the condition would not be met).

The only snag with this method is that you have to have the field with the word "Pending" in it include in the "New Item" form even if you have to hide it. Good luck!

3 REPLIES 3
CP153319
Level 8

I had a similar issue when I was trying to set up "Reminder" emails in an approval flow (I wanted to send out a reminder Email every 3 days if the person hadn't approved or rejected an approval). I started out trying to use the "null" thing where if the flow saw an empty field it would trigger the reminder Email.

I could not get this to work...

The way I got it to work was to take advantage of the "Default Text" functionality in SharePoint lists so that instead of being empty the field contained the word "Pending". With that default word "Pending" in the field I set up the condition to only run if field still contained the word "Pending" (If the approver had approved or rejected the field would be changed to "Approve" or "Reject" and the condition would not be met).

The only snag with this method is that you have to have the field with the word "Pending" in it include in the "New Item" form even if you have to hide it. Good luck!

Super User
Super User

Hi @eenochs

Whilst @CP153319 may have provided a viable solution for your issue, below is some additional information that either of you may find useful.

I would advise looking at this excellent process from @ScottShearer .

He has posted this in the forum here.

He says in the opening:

"I've seen frequent posts in the Flow Forums from users asking how they can check for a change is a specific column in a SharePoint list, If the value has changed, they want to take some type of action."

I believe the above quote is in line with your process, awaiting for the field to become populated, or not empty.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

CP153319
Level 8

I "may have" provided a solution? LOL

I provided THE solution, Jack. 

Smiley LOL

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 282 members 4,889 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: