cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ianm
Level: Powered On

Do Until - Get File Properties ... InvalidTemplate ...

Because I cannot add pictures to my posts here, I posted this question in the PowerApps & Flow Tech Community here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Do-Until-Get-File-Properties-Invalid-Template/...

I'm not a complete noob but struggling to see what is wrong with this flow. And have scoured lots of the docs and blog material in an affort to understand what I'm missing here.

Thanks.

Ian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ianm

Re: Do Until - Get File Properties ... InvalidTemplate ...

I think i've solved it and discovered that this is what coalesce is for. Here is my working Do Until condition without needing to assign default values to the columns in the library:

@and(not(empty(body('Get_file_properties')?['Approver'])),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceAmountExclGST'], '0'), '0')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceDate'], '19000101'), '19000101')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceFrom'], 'Nobody'), 'Nobody')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceNumber'], '0'), '0')))

If i understand coalesce correctly, the fallback value could be any string value. I just chose values that kind of made sense for the type of each column.

The Do Until > Get file properties loop now keeps looping until all the required fields are populated. Without generating the InvalidTemplate error.

I'll mark this as solved and hope someone finds this useful.

Ian.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ianm

I recently updated my techcommunity post as follows:

While I don't really understand why, I think that I've at least got a workaround for my template error problem.

It seems that 'Get file properties' action and 'When a file is created (properties only)' trigger do not output columns that have no data in them. Except if the column is a person/group column. 

For example, when initially constructing my flow, my condition step only tested whether the 'Approver' column was empty. My flow worked because the 'Approver' column is output by the 'When a file is created' trigger and the 'Get file properties' action even though it is blank/empty. However, when I put my 'InvoiceAmount', 'InvoiceFrom' or 'InvoiceDate' columns in the condition, I get the TemplateError because the columns are not available in the output of 'Get file properties' action. But when I put a default value in the 'InvoiceAmount' etc. columns, they appear in the 'Get file properties' action output and I don't see the TemplateError.

This is not desired behaviour as I would like the person adding an invoice to be prompted for the required fields before the invoice is sent for approval. However, I can workaround by assigning default non-sensible values to the columns. Then test these in my condition and only send the invoice for approval once the columns have different values. Which are hopefully more sensible values.

I'm probably still bit of a noob at this stuff 🙂 but I'm learning. Is there a way to test if the column exists in the output before testing the value? Is this what the 'coalesce' function is for?

Ian.

ianm

I think i've solved it and discovered that this is what coalesce is for. Here is my working Do Until condition without needing to assign default values to the columns in the library:

@and(not(empty(body('Get_file_properties')?['Approver'])),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceAmountExclGST'], '0'), '0')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceDate'], '19000101'), '19000101')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceFrom'], 'Nobody'), 'Nobody')),not(equals(coalesce(body('Get_file_properties')?['InvoiceNumber'], '0'), '0')))

If i understand coalesce correctly, the fallback value could be any string value. I just chose values that kind of made sense for the type of each column.

The Do Until > Get file properties loop now keeps looping until all the required fields are populated. Without generating the InvalidTemplate error.

I'll mark this as solved and hope someone finds this useful.

Ian.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 455 members 5,972 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: