cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aerry
Level: Powered On

Document Control Process / Alternate to Copy File Sharepoint step

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am looking for both/either a solution to an alternate to the copy file function from sharepoint that works against multiple sites and guidance on the process.

Background: I am creating a document release process that currently has many small Button approval flows resulting in notifications to teams channels or users. And this works well for new documents. I am sure that it could be managed better in a single larger business process flow perhaps but the process is stable for now. My problem is that I cannot devise and execute a method to automate a release process covering document control for revisions. My intent was to copy a document out of one document library and into another by activating a flow on a sharepoint list item linked to the document then overwriting the original upon release, however the flow does not identify any links I make that are outside of the Lists site. I've tried referenced hyperlinks in the list and even manual entries and it still returns an error that it cannot validate the file exists, therefore the flow fails.

If anyone can provide guidance on how best to copy files from different sites aside from the copy file sharepoint command that would be fantastic and let me continue down this route.

On the other hand, does anyone have a working process similar to this? I have a feeling there is a better way, but I cant find it with my limited experience. I know a check in check out system is more traditional for document control but due to the collaboration requirements it doesn't work for us. Any ideas?

Our process right now is manual with permissions within the "Master' word document being controlled by an individual who receives a notification, then unlocks and shares links to the document to the requestor, then the requestor shares it to all stakeholders who needs to collaborate for editing the document through the release of the new revision relocking, and a PDF distribution to the sharepoint list and other sites for viewing upon the Master file release. So if the individual isn't available, or someone forgets there are delays where nothing happens, and if we deviate from the process, everyone ends up with passwords to the controlled documents.

Thanks for any and all responses. 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Document Control Process / Alternate to Copy File Sharepoint step

Hi @Aerry,

You can store these sites into an array variable, of course, instead of initializing the variable manually, you can set it dynamically. Then put each item into the Destination field of the Copy file action of the SharePoint list:

Annotation 2019-11-13 145830.png

If you want to get the file then copy it by using hyperlink, you can consider use the HTTP request. Extract the file path from the hyperlink then use the HTTP action. After get file content, create a new file into these destination sites and folders.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Aerry
Level: Powered On

Re: Document Control Process / Alternate to Copy File Sharepoint step

Unfortunately this is being done off a list, therefore I have a "for a selected item trigger" and not a file based trigger.  The list item currently has a hyperlink to the document which is on another site.

Basically the idea is that  we have a master index, which is a sharepoint list, and in order to create a revision of any document, we want team members to select an item off that list, activate the flow via a button trigger, and a file, which is a hyperlink in the item, gets copied to a new location to be collaborated on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,071)