cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CostasC

Document approval for external users using "send email with options"

Hi there,

I want to set an approval flow with external users (outside my organization) approving the items. I know that the normal approval actions will not work since there are external users.

I have used the "send an email with options" instead followed by a "condition". The issue is that I cannot make the condition result to "Yes".

If I set the condition equals to "Approve" (as per attachment) the flow fails. I have also tried "Option1" or "Choice1" and the flow is successful but always results in "No".

CostasC.Prt Sc 1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@CostasC 

As mentioned by @Pstork1 , you need to inspect one of your runs to see what is being returned. 

I just tested with an external user and did not experience any issues.

You may want to delete and re-enter your options and condition just in case there are some spaces or other unseen characters.

Just for fun, try testing for Reject rather than Approve.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You should be able to drill down into a previous run and see exactly what Option is being returned.  Normally it would be Approve or Reject based on the way you configured it.  But that may not work with External users.  What does the run show as inputs and outputs.  you may have to add a compose between the email action and the condition to show what the value being returned is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join me at 365EduCon in Chicago on Sept. 26-30 where I'll be presenting on the Power Platform!
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @CostasC 

Like @Pstork1  already mentioned this is not supported yet. If you like to vote for this feature please do it.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Allow-for-external-non-outlook-accounts-to-...

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

Done it!

Had to re-write the flow from scratch. I think the issue was that i have copied paste some actions from other flows i had - in order to save time.

It works with external users as well! 

thank you for the quick reply, that gave me comfort that i was doing the right thing!

ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@CostasC 

As mentioned by @Pstork1 , you need to inspect one of your runs to see what is being returned. 

I just tested with an external user and did not experience any issues.

You may want to delete and re-enter your options and condition just in case there are some spaces or other unseen characters.

Just for fun, try testing for Reject rather than Approve.

Scott
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CostasC ,

It seems that your problem is solved now, please go ahead and mark the post as solved by clicking “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,835)