cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anupama_live
Frequent Visitor

Document property doesn't populate data in MS Word Online

Hello All,

I have this requirement of generating a Word Document when an item in a list is created. I am able to generate the document and when I open the file in client application, the document property placeholder populates the fields with data coming from the list. 

Issue is when the document is opened in browser, I don't see the data instead I see the document property place holders. The end users use the file in Teams channel and while loading their as well, result is the same. Is there any plugins that need to be enabled in browser to view it or is there any settings that need to be enabled in Teams channel to make it visible. 

Anupama_live_0-1619702193496.png

Kindly suggest on how to go ahead with this requirement. 

Thanks

Anu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Your experience is the way its designed to work.  Quick Parts only work when you are in the client application.  To actually populate the document you have to use the method described in the blog post.  Unfortunately MS decided to make that a premium action.  There is no other way to do it and get it to work in a browser.  You can build the document out using HTML and then do a search and replace to populate the document with content.  Then convert the HTML to PDF.  That doesn't require a premium license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Here's a walkthrough on how to populate a Word template with content using Power Automate.  I suspect what you are doing wrong is expecting the population to be dynamic.  Instead what you have to do is use a flow to create a new document based on the word template document that has the content in place.  Then save the document.  This walkthrough will show you how.

How to Populate a Microsoft Word Template with dynamic content. – Somet Kip

Thanks @Pstork1 for sharing the link. 

Earlier I have used the Quick Part feature in MS Word and was able to populate word document using MS Flow with no Premium actions. Only problem was that the data was not rendering when the document is opened in browser/MS Word Online but successfully render all the fields when opened in client application (MS Word installed in system).

Enabling Developer tool is something new approach for me and it has opened alternate way of dynamically populating the document. But my concern is with premium action in MS Flow which I cannot make use of. 

I tried running my flow with this new template but the results were the same. Can you suggest on what could be done.

Thanks

Anu

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Your experience is the way its designed to work.  Quick Parts only work when you are in the client application.  To actually populate the document you have to use the method described in the blog post.  Unfortunately MS decided to make that a premium action.  There is no other way to do it and get it to work in a browser.  You can build the document out using HTML and then do a search and replace to populate the document with content.  Then convert the HTML to PDF.  That doesn't require a premium license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,200)