cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Flow user need SharePoint/Office license to read lists?

Hello Cat Happy

I have a Flow user with Microsoft Flow Free license which have access to a SharePoint site with a list (edit access).

I didn't give the flow user a Office or SharePoint license, but still it is possible to trigger when the list is modified.

It says in the Connectors documentation: 

"You can connect to SharePoint Online or to an on-premises SharePoint 2013 or 2016 farm using the On-Premises Data Gateway to manage documents and list items."

Does this mean that Microsoft Flow Free license makes it possible to manage documents and list items with Flow? And that you need a Office license to do other stuff?

Appreciate any thoughts and answers! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Anonymous ,

I did the test on my side, it seems that you added the user you mentioned as a Group member, so he can access this SharePoint site.

And even if the corresponding Flow is created using his account, he can use Flow normally.

If you remove him from the group, he can neither access the site nor use the corresponding Flow.

Image reference:

26.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brad_Groux
Community Champion
Community Champion

To utilize Flow with SharePoint online, you need a SharePoint Online/Office 365 license. To utilize Flow with a self-hosted or on-premise SharePoint farm, you do not need a SharePoint Online/Office 365 license.

SharePoint and SharePoint Online utilize the same SharePoint connector, but they utilize different data connections (select Data > Connections from the Flow menu): Connections.png

In this example from my Flow environment, the purple credentials are for a private SharePoint farm, and the green are for Office 365/SharePoint Online:SharePointOnlineOffilineConnections.png

NOTE: The Flow Free plan does not allow you to access the on-premise data gateway: FlowFreeNoDataGateway.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

As Brad described, if you want to create a connection to SharePoint connector, you need to have a SharePoint-related license, which seems to be included in 0365 subscription.

If you use other services in MS Flow, you need to have other service-related subscriptions in addition to the MS Flow-related license.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the answer. I'm using SharePoint Online and when I make a new flow that triggers on a list it automatically connects to SharePoint Online with no error message. This user doesn't have a Office license (see picture), but is given access to a SharePoint site and is even able to see the site as well.

Is there something I'm missing out on here? The Flow runs fine.

Flow runs successfullyFlow runs successfully

SharePoint connectorSharePoint connectorAccess to SPAccess to SP

Licensing for the specific userLicensing for the specific user

Hi @Anonymous ,

I did the test on my side, it seems that you added the user you mentioned as a Group member, so he can access this SharePoint site.

And even if the corresponding Flow is created using his account, he can use Flow normally.

If you remove him from the group, he can neither access the site nor use the corresponding Flow.

Image reference:

26.PNG

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,008)