cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
totaluser1
Frequent Visitor

Does Flow work with Sharepoint Online Calendars?

We have a vacation calendar (an actual calendar, not a custom list with calendar overlay). Flow does not seem to be working well with Sharepoint online Calendars. I'm trying to run an approval flow but it fails but I only get a notification that the flow failed and no other infomation is provided, once I click the notification I get forwarded to My Flows page. How should I troubleshoot my Flow?

16 REPLIES 16
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Totaluser1,

To get the detailed information of your flow run status, you could click the “i” icon, then click on the Succeed/Failed status, then click each action to get the detailed run information of each action.

1.png

3.PNG

To reproduce this issue, I created a similar flow with you. My flow configuration looks like below. This flow ran succeed and it worked well with SharePoint Online Calendar.
4.PNG

Before I created this flow, I created a Calendar list and named it “VacationCalendar”. Then when configuring the action “When a new item is created”, I entered the name of the Calendar list to the “List Name” field.

Have you entered the proper list name in the “List Name” field?
PS: Currently, only Custom list can be selected by clicking the Dropdown button, a Default list is asked to enter the list name manually in the List Name field.

Please try my steps to get detailed error information and provide the error message to me so that I can reproduce your issue on my side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Mabel,

Thank you for your response, I found out that "Get manager" fails in my flow and the rest of the flow fails as well.

Is it ok to not use "Get manager" or "Get user" if I need a vacation approval message to be delivered to the manager of "Created by" who would make the decision?

Hi Totaluser1,

Get-Manager is indeed tied to your Azure directory and not SharePoint online. So please make sure you fill the Manager filed of the user in Azure Active Directory.

Please check this thread link for a reference:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Office-365-User-Get-Manager-not-working/...

“Get user” should work as expected. This action gets your own user profile.

If you want to send an approval email to your manager, you could enter the Email Address of your manager in the “To” field. Or you could also try to configure manager information in Azure Active Directory then use the action “Get manager”.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I checked AAD and manager ID field is filled automatically for our users. I used "Created By Email" in "Get manager". Should I include "Get User" before "Get manager" or is it unecessary?

Hello @totaluser1

I used Get-Manager without Get-User in my flow and it works well; as field in Get-Manager I use the Emplyee email, not the Created by email.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

I do not see such dynamic content suggestion available. The purpose of my flow is to automate the vacation approval process, so it means a lot of users will be using this so I want to make use of dynamic content to make connections in this flow and avoid using email addresses of certain employees.

Hi Totaluser1,

Could you show me the error message of the action “Get manager”?
Please make sure you have filled the manager field of the user in Azure Active Directory.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

I already checked Azure AD. Please see my previous messages 🙂

As for Get manager input and output, here it is:

Input

user.name@contoso.com (used contoso just here, not in my real example)

Headers:

{
  "Pragma": "no-cache",
  "x-ms-request-id": "c75c4065-d49d-4314-a73d-0ab1e6c1ce69",
  "Cache-Control": "no-cache",
  "Date": "Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:28:32 GMT",
  "Set-Cookie": "ARRAffinity=222b2eccda3b49659d1dbc8fc5b464f83c67dfa4e110ac9af520c57f33db0d1d;Path=/;Domain=127.0.0.1",
  "Server": "Microsoft-IIS/8.0,Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0",
  "X-AspNet-Version": "4.0.30319",
  "X-Powered-By": "ASP.NET",
  "Content-Length": "84",
  "Content-Type": "application/json; charset=utf-8",
  "Expires": "-1"
}

Body:

{
  "status": 404,
  "message": "No user found with the specified id.",
  "source": "127.0.0.1"
}

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what might be wrong? I double checked Azure Active Directory and manager field is filled in for eah user

bumping thread

Hi totaluser1,

I am still confirming with this issue, and I have already reported this issue from my side, but I haven’t got a response.
I will back to you once I got any updates.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Hi Totaluser1,

Can you make sure the Created By Email is the valid email id for the manager? AAD does expect the email id in different formats.

One way is to look up your manager with this PowerShell command and make sure the email id is the correct format.

Get-AzureRmADUser -UserPrincipalName <expected email of the manager>

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Hello,

So after I ran this command, no errors where shown, but no information showed up either, just an empty line below my command.

Please see the screenshot attached.

azureaduser.png

Hi totaluser1,

That just means the UPN for the manager is not recognized in AAD.

I invited @RajRa to look into this issue. Per his test, the results are inline (no output for invalid email ids)

PS C:\Users\rajra> Get-AzureRmADUser -UserPrincipalName foo@microsoft.com
PS C:\Users\rajra> Get-AzureRmADUser -UserPrincipalName food@microsoft.com
PS C:\Users\rajra> Get-AzureRmADUser -UserPrincipalName rajra@microsoft.com

DisplayName        Type          ObjectId
-----------                ----              --------
Raj Rangarajan                 15be008f-<Snipped>

Please try to find what the real email id of the manager should be as in AAD. There are a couple of ways – for example:

Get-AzureRmADUser -SearchString "raj" (shows all matches)

Let us know if this helps

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Using search string only provided me with Display Name, Type, ObjectID, email was not shown, as a matter of fact I'm not getting emails for any of the users if I type in Get-AzureRmADUser to display the list of AzureAD users. Can it be a sync issue or is it something else?

Any suggestions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,543)