Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Duplicate Shared Office Calendar into D365 Calendar

Hello,

I am looking to update the D365 Dataverse Calendar with any and all events on our Shared Office Resources Calendar.

I can get D365 to re-create any events that have been 'added, updated, or deleted' but for some reason my Flow was created tons of duplicates.

Here is the Flow:

invintern_1-1639615135005.png

invintern_0-1639615125420.png

Here are the results: 

invintern_2-1639615238643.png

(D365 will load forever - I assume there are 100+ duplicate entries on this day alone. Trust me that there are ALSO duplicates on the prior days, though D365 does not seem to want to load them while it is pre-loading my infinite list)

SO, I am hoping to re-create this Flow without the duplication.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've created the demo flow earlier and it appears to still work. I've updated the "updated actions", if no existing appointment record was found to update (because the appointment existed before the flow was created) then create a new appointment.

Here is the overall flow:

ekarim2020_0-1641930098926.png

Snag_218a7c.png

For updating the Appointments table

This is the Updated case:

ekarim2020_1-1641930170263.png

The Condition expanded for the Update case:

Snag_17e6a7.png

If there is no existing appointment record was found to update (because the appointment existed before the flow was created) then create a new appointment.

Close-up of the Condition action

Snag_19a212.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
ekarim2020
Super User
Super User

One approach to this problem would be to store the Calendar event Id in the Appointments table. This then will enable you to find which Dataverse record (row) needs to be updated or deleted or created. For example:

2021-12-20_17-57-15.png

Your flow will likely contain the following actions or similar:

Dataverse Diagram.drawio.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Hi Ellis,

Yes, this makes sense...in theory!

My first question: what does the remainder of your Flow look like? I am not sure where within the Flow to put your 'add a new row 2' box.

What is the 'EventID' and where do I find it?

Do you input 'id' onto....duration? As you can see, my 'add a new row' step does NOT have an input ask for EventID. It looks to me like you put it over Duration?

invintern_0-1640032170654.png

How do I setup the 3-branch logic, differentiating between a record deleted, updated, or added? I am looking at the 'Condition' option, and am wondering how to end up with the results, given the inputs of 'if event [is equal to/does contain/ends with/etc].' 

Thank you for your efforts in helping me. Please let me know what you come up with.

I have a flow that does almost the opposite, it takes events from a Dataverse table and updates a SharePoint List:

2021-12-20_21-08-40.png

The concepts should be the same or similar to what you are trying to do:

2021-12-20_20-56-15.png

The SharePoint list has a column called itemInternalId that stores the Dataverse row Id (itemInternalId):

2021-12-20_21-03-35.png

The example screen shot I created of the Dataverse action was for just for demonstration purposes only. You would need to create a new column to store the Event ID:

2021-12-20_17-57-15.png

The Calendar Event Id can be found in Dynamic content as shown below:

2021-12-20_20-54-00.png

Ellis

The Switch action could be used for the different actions, for example:

2021-12-20_21-34-09.png

2021-12-20_21-36-50.png

Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Very helpful, thank you for introducing to me the concepts of Scope & Switch. 

I find that I am often unaware of the tools at my disposal. It is very easy to begin the PA journey somewhere in the middle (in my experience).

Ok, so depending on the Action Type of the events (created, deleted, updated) I can send the Flow down one of three paths.

Add a row makes sense. Add a row to Appointment with the details given in Exchange.

How about Update or Delete? Where do I find the Row ID to update? My Dynamic Content selector lets me choose the ID of the Exchange event, though I believe I need the specific Dataverse event....In my head, I could find a way to search the Dataverse for the ID that the newly-created appointment was given...though it seems like listing Rows -> Appointments does not seem to give me that level of specificity.

I will keep poking around. Thank you for your continued assistance. 

Edit: Further, would you mind please showing me the contents of your Scopes?

This is the updated logic of the flow:

Outlook Calendar Updating Dataverse Appointments table-Basic Event Flow.png

This is the flow based more or less on the above flow chart:

2021-12-21_10-17-32.png

The Outlook Calendar Id can in fact be stored in the Outlook Appointment field during the Add a new row action. The Dataverse internal name for this column is globalobjectid:

2021-12-21_10-53-10.png

To find appointments that were Updated or Deleted:

2021-12-21_10-21-21.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

This does help. Of course, I still have a few questions. I am going to build as I type to you.

Regarding the snip marked "This is the flow based more or less on the above flow chart:" - What is your 'Compose Documentation' about?

Regarding your Conditions, I can't see what you're doing in there and here is my educated guess on the 'update event' Switch path. I have a feeling I may be incorrect here. My 'delete' path has the same condition.

invintern_2-1640110914899.png

Further, in my 'delete' path could you please let me know if this is what you have in mind?

invintern_3-1640111004472.png

Finally, in one more clue that I have something wrong, I notice that my Flow gave me the 'Apply to each' boxes, whereas yours does not have them. 

I believe my next issue lies in those conditions.

Thank you for your continued support.

-Ryan

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

One final question (maybe):

invintern_4-1640111219693.png

Where does this snip come from? I don't see any boxes asking for 'Outlook ID'. 

[updated] Click Show Advanced Options:

2021-12-21_18-49-15.png

Then scroll down the long page of field names:

2021-12-21_18-48-09.png

2021-12-21_18-53-51.png

The Id is taken from Dynamic content as shown below:

2021-12-21_18-56-27.png

Ellis

2021-12-21_12-37-24-0123.png

2021-12-21_21-02-37.png

2021-12-21_12-37-24.png

2021-12-21_12-44-59.png

2021-12-21_12-46-33.png

2021-12-21_12-48-10.png

2021-12-21_12-49-25.png

2021-12-21_12-37-24-2.png

2021-12-21_12-53-14.png

2021-12-21_12-55-22.png

2021-12-21_12-37-24-3.png

2021-12-21_12-57-44.png

2021-12-21_20-52-14.png

2021-12-21_20-56-27.png

2021-12-21_20-58-38.png

Hope this helps.

Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Is this a full-time job, helping me with this Flow? Thank you so much for the help.

I don't see explicit instructions on the Composeitem action just after the Flow begins, underneath "When an event is added, updated or deleted (V3)." But judging by your later snips it LOOKS LIKE that compose function should have its "inputs" listed as 'activityid' - though I don't think that is right because your hover shows text "outputs('ComposeItem')?['activityid']" whereas mine says "outputs('ComposeItem)."

I will keep working, as the rest of it makes sense...so far!

Thanks again for the help.

As long as you enter this as an expression the flow should work:

2021-12-21_22-54-12.png

Power Automate sometimes changes the display name of the inputs. In the above example, the display name got changed to activityid when I later re-opened the flow again:

2021-12-21_22-51-07.png

In both case the expression is still:

outputs('ComposeItem2')?['activityid']

Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

(edit) Interesting. I have input the Expressions where you mentioned. Before I had selected the Dynamic Content output of the Compose action. I changed mine to make sure it's like yours. If you don't mind, I'd like to show you what I've got to see if you think it is good to activate.

I also have one final (maybe) question about your first Compose action. I didn't seem to use mine. Please let me know if I misunderstood.

invintern_6-1640128334777.png

invintern_4-1640128123018.pnginvintern_5-1640128131149.png

invintern_1-1640128034975.png

invintern_2-1640128071354.pnginvintern_3-1640128085742.png

I believe I have EXACTLY what you have, other than the icons by the expressions we were just talking about. Notice how in my 'update a row' section my expression is left with its Expression icon, whereas yours has the Compose icon.

Can I ask for one my favor from you, to check what I've got here and give me a thumbs up?

(1) Use the End time with time zone from the Outlook event - as the End time may be one of the fields that were changed. Same with Start time - which I take from the Outlook event - as the Start time may have changed too. Same again with Subject, Body, Location or any other column to you want to track the changes of.

2021-12-21_23-19-11.png

(2)  I'm not using an Apply to each loop - but the flow could still work with a loop. In my flow I am using the Compose action (ComposeItem) to select the record that was returned from the List rows action - so I can avoid using a loop.

(3) Optional - I usually include a compose action to keep some notes about the flow

2021-12-21_23-31-00.png

Or you can keep notes using the new Comments feature in Power Automate:

2021-12-21_23-34-27.png

2021-12-21_23-32-55.png

 Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Wonderful,

I have made the changes you suggested to End Time (as well as start time, which I hadn't shown you!)

I didn't see anything from you saying it doesn't work.........so I think I am going to activate it tonight and see if it works as intended tomorrow morning.

I will report back with questions/updates and will be sure to give you that 'Accept as a solution,' just as soon as I know it works!

Thank you so much for the help.

-Ryan

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Hello Ellis,

Naturally, Xmas holiday season is one where not many people are scheduling events on the calendar for testing purposes.

I had one Flow go off since I turned this one on and it 'ran successfully' but 'ActionBranchingConditionNotSatisfied. The execution of template action 'Compose_2' skipped: the branching condition for this action is not satisfied."

Snip:

invintern_0-1640194900330.png

Here is the condition: 'length(outputs('List_rows')?['body/value']) is greater than 0.

invintern_1-1640194992683.png

Thanks again.

This is the sample Output from my flow:

2021-12-22_17-47-37.png

(1) Check the List Rows action

2021-12-22_17-54-02.png

It is likely that you are updating a calendar event in Outlook - but that event does not exist in the Dataverse Appointments table? The flow was created later but the event was already in Outlook before the flow was created. Please confirm. If that is the case you will need to add some extra actions to deal with this situation.

(2) Please check the expression for the condition, you can copy-and-paste the expression below:

length(outputs('List_rows')?['body/value'])

 Ellis

invintern
Helper II
Helper II

Good point that maybe the Dataverse item does not exist, yet the Outlook may have been updated.

List rows looks like it's fine.

invintern_0-1640196416877.png

My condition uses 'length,' not 'first.' It is what you have written, though the final snip with 'first(outputs(...", though I can't seem to paste into my Expression box. That 'first(outputs(...' is what is written in my Compose 2, in the Update a row path.

Ok, if I have my inputs correct and the latest issue was that an event was updated that hadn't been added to the dataverse....it looks like we've got it right.

Thanks for the help, Ellis. I will write back if anything funny comes up.

This is more or less the the current flow:

Outlook Calendar Updating Datavers Appointments table-Basic Event Flow.png

You could update the flow for the "updated" condition to add a new appointment if none was found:

Outlook Calendar Updating Datavers Appointments table-Event flow with Update Actions.drawio.png

2021-12-22_17-47-37.png

 Ellis

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (6,168)