cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jordanmaurice
Level: Power Up

Dynamic content not supprted for Microsoft Teams reply to mesage?

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a flow that would respond to a new channel message that is posted in Microsoft Teams.

I set up the flow as follows:
Trigger -> When a new channel mesage is added

Flow Step-> Post a reply to a message

The Post a reply to a message requires the team name and channel, message ID, and then the reply you would like to post.  Dynamic content is enabled on the reply, but not the message ID field, preventing me from auto replying to the message that was previously posted.  

It works great sending an e-mail using dynamic content and a bunch of other workarounds, but this is frustrating that I can't just use dynamic content from step 1 to fill out the message ID field. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Dynamic content not supprted for Microsoft Teams reply to mesage?

Hi @jordanmaurice ,

Please use Compose to input Message Id, then fill Compose's output in Message field.

Image reference:

24.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jordanmaurice ,

Please use Compose to input Message Id, then fill Compose's output in Message field.

Image reference:

24.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jordanmaurice

Thanks that does certainly help and has resolved this issue.  

I have one more question for you if you can help further.

Does Flows have any sort of way of pulling message replies from a message in the teams channel?  I believe Microsoft Graph API has a way of doing this, but requires admin privileges, if there is a way within flows that would greatly help. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jordanmaurice ,

Unfortunately, the action in Teams connector is currently unable to pull message replies from a message in the teams channel.

I am afraid there is currently no suitable way to achieve such a requirement.

If you want such a feature to be supported by MS Flow, please consider submitting your suggestions in Flow ideas forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best Regards,

DataFailure
Level: Powered On

I've tried use the 'Post reply to a message' with no success. Here is what my Flow looks like, the trigger is 'When an item is created' the next connector is a condition then this:

Capture 3.PNG

The second yes option starts with another trigger 'When a new channel message is added' following the format given in this thread. I got the idea from here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Tips-Use-a-Trigger-in-middle-of-Microsof... 
In any case the flow failed at the compose connector with this error message: "Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Compose' inputs at line '1' and column '2624': 'The template language expression 'body('When_a_new_channel_message_is_added')?['id']' cannot be evaluated because property 'id' cannot be selected. Array elements can only be selected using an integer index. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'."

I'm now stuck. 

Is it possible to use the "post a reply to a a message" connector without using the 'When a new channel message is added' trigger? My goal would be for the 'post a reply' to respond to the particular message generated by the flow, rather than any message in the channel - is this possible?  

Thanks in advance! 

JamesSnaps

@DataFailure Did you ever manage to find a solution to this problem? Having the same issue myself as I want to achieve almost the exact same situation - reply to a message I posted earlier in the Flow.

DataFailure

@JamesSnaps No I couldn't get it to work with the flow set up I had in my post. The reply would go to the next conversation/message added to the teams channel rather than the one generated by the flow. 
Looking at that flow again I am wondering if setting the connectors up in the following way might work? Granted I have not tested this, it just popped into my head. This might have the reply ready to go so it would send when the post a message connector activates? 

When a new channel message is added > Compose > Post reply to a message (V2) > Post a message (V3)

Edit:
I have now tried the above and couldn't get it to work. I'd forgotten that When a new channel message is added is a trigger rather than an action so it wont activate until a message is manually posted to teams. Here is the error I got:
Capture8.PNG
Sorry I can't be of more help. 

JamesSnaps

@DataFailure So I've managed to get this to work now. I had to place the compose (and the reply action) in an Apply to each following the 'when a new channel message is added' trigger. So my setup is basically the same as yours, but with that difference.

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 14.10.14.png

The message being replied to is initially posted in parallel to these actions, with a slight delay to give the trigger time to be ready.

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 14.13.58.png 

savanchukaras

Hello.

Do you know if how can I mention people this way, using this reply function?

I tried <at> syntaxis, without success

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 180 members 4,309 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: