cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically Updating Excel Rows

I am ultimately trying to read content from an excel table (after it has been created which is the trigger), create a SharePoint Item from that row (storing the file locator and row ID in each sharepoint item to retrieve it later) then write back the ID of the created sharepoint item to the excel row.  

To do this I used a template of an excel file so I could use the designer to fill in the correct columns to the the sharepoint item fields.  Then I changed the file path of the excel file get rows action to dynamically pull from a file when it is created (again the trigger).

The problem I am running into is in trying to use the powerappsid (rowID) from the table in any fashion (i.e. if I write the rowid to the SharePoint item then then the table will not have a powerappsid column created, but if I don't use the rowid field in the sharepoint item the powerappsid column is created).  

When I try to write back to the excel row what the SP ID is within a foreach loop (from the get rows action values) I get a 400 value must be provided.)Get Core.PNGHow I initially Get RowsFor Each Loop.PNGFor Each Loop Using Output form Get Rows to Create SP Items then Update Initial Rows form the Get Rows ActionError.PNGError Received When Trying to Update Row Using the Row ID previously specifiedUpdates.PNGUse of Output from Get Rows in Creation of SP ITemWont Work.PNGTrying to Update from Output of Initial Get Rows

11 REPLIES 11
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Dynamically Updating Excel Rows

Hi @WiggityZwiggity,

When using the action “Excel – Get rows”, if you use the dynamic content for the File name field, in the after actions, you won’t be able to get dynamic contents from this action.

So I am wondering in your Update row action, how could you get the dynamic content PowerAppsId for the Row Id field?

I am trying to reproduce this issue on my side. Please show me a full screenshot of your flow for better understanding.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yamao-msft that is what I am wondering too.  Attached is a screenshot of full workflow context (had to creak it into 2)Part 1.PNGPart 1Part 2.PNGPart II

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @WiggityZwiggity,

Thanks for the screenshots.

I made a test on my side. When using a dynamic content for the File Name field, you could enter the Table name manually, but for the Row Id field, it will return an error “Cannot evaluate the parameter 'dataset' at design-time; it is empty or has a runtime expression”.

I am afraid that dynamic file name is currently not supported for this action.

3.PNG

There is a similar request on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote and comment the idea at here:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Cannot-use-EXCEL-file-ID-on-action-Insert-Row/idi-p/9...

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for looking @v-yamao-msft  Voted.

Eric_Hu
Level: Powered On

I have voted, too.

I hope the feature can be work.

I have over 100 systems and I need to create 100 flow which the same.

It is big problem when I change the flow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

also a big issue for me..

I need to select Excel Files on Sharepoint dynamically and read out the rows that have been modified in order to copy that data to another excel file on my sharepoint site..

Eickhel
Level 8

Today we had the same issue, the only workaround we could find was to copy the file to an specific location in OneDrive and then use that file in that specific location as a template to process it. This way, Flow could get the file's metadata and then show the required fields in the update row action:

2018-06-04_17-49-32.png

Hope this helps

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @WiggityZwiggity!

Have you had a chance to apply @Eickhel‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel

Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
suhailaliwittki
Level: Powered On

This workaround doesn't reliably work for me. I delete all the records in the table and then repopulate with new values. It works intermittently - it either fails when deleting the record or when it's inserting. It also takes about10 minutes to delete 700 records and then another 10-15 minutes to insert records. This is with parallelism in the For-Each loop cranked up all the way to 50.

Eickhel
Level 8

Today I came acros this article that might help you with those intermitten issues:

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/06/11/microsoft-flow-advanced-error-handling-recover-from-failure/

Hope it helps

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Eickhel@WiggityZwiggity@suhailaliwittki@GabrielStJohn, and @Eric_Hu 

I created a template with a workaround for this issue. You can find the explanation and the template here:

https://manueltgomes.com/microsoft/flow/how-to-access-dynamic-path-excel/

Hope it helps you

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,397)