cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mstr
Regular Visitor

Dynamics 365 note attachments to SharePoint - any way to use them?

Hey team,

I'm relatively new to Flow. I've been working on taking attachments in notes and moving them to SharePoint. The flow I have right now is basically:

When record (note) is created > Is [custom entity] > isdocument=true > SharePoint: create file, contents=Document

This creates a new document in SharePoint everytime I attach any file to a note in an entity that I've specified. The problem is, that new file is totally useless. Is there a way I can simply copy the attachment or decode in the Flow to make these files useful to our end users?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi mstr,

Could you show me a screenshot of your flow configuration?

Have you created the file on SharePoint library successfully while you are not able to check it?

Do you get any error when opening the file?

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the help!

Here's my flow. My trigger is every time a note is created. Then it checks to make sure that the note was created in the entity "Working Events." See the screenshot:

Trigger and First Condition.PNG

If it passes the first condition, I have it check the not for a document attachment. If it finds that, I have it create a sharepoint document. It names it the date it was created, places it in the "Applications" folder and the document is the contents of the document in the note.

Condition and Action.PNG

When it runs successfully, the Flow Output looks like this:

Output.PNG

So, what I notice right away is that the MediaType is not at all what I would expect. I'm attaching only Word documents to run my tests. When I go to SharePoint I see this file which I'm allowed to download (I've changed the naming scheme since that upload):

File Saved.PNG

So, aside from the non-specific extension and awful name, it's doing pretty much what I want, that is until I try to open the file. When I open the file in Note Pad, it's a base64 document that looks like this:

File Output.PNG

Obviously just an example of the file. The problem is that Base64 file can't be translated back into a word document, it doesn't translate well to Binary, and I can't figure out any other way to use that output.

Is there any way I can take the document and go from the Note Attachment and put it into the entity record's documents? If I could do that, I can have the Dynamics 365 and SharePoint 365 integration handle the rest. Or if I could somehow pull the document itself instead of the document contents, that would fix this problem as well. The first solution has better naming schemes, but for now I'd take either.

Thank you!

RJMiller
Regular Visitor

Any update on this issue that you could share?

I am working on a similar requirement and think I found all the clues I need in post: https://themscrmexpert.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/use-microsoft-flow-to-move-notes-attachments-from-cr...

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,021)