cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kam

Editing individual flows once they've completed

Hello

I hope someone can help me.

We use Flows when staff commence and leave with a number of related actions to various departments.  It works well until something changes and the initial list in Sharepoint needs to be updated.  Currently the trigger is 'when an item is created'.  Example is 'emails to be forwarded' to Mr Man in original entry needs to be changed to 'emails to be forwarded' to Ms Woman for one list item only.  Everything else in the flow remains the same. 

The problem is that if I use an 'when an item is created or modified' trigger everyone will get the previous information again when all I want is the person responsible for changing the 'emails to be forwarded' item to be advised of the change.  Is there any way to do this? 

If not, I'm wondering if I can just make the change to the list item (drop down menu selection) in Sharepoint using an 'when an item is created or modified' trigger and this will re-trigger flows it I need to make edits once they've been completed and I'll just have to live with everyone getting information twice in order for the one change to be relayed.  I'm asking before I build it because the original flow, which has many steps, was created using a 'when an item is created' trigger and it doesn't appear that I can simply copy this flow in order to change the trigger to 'when an item is created or modified'. 

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kam,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please showe a bit more about your SharePoint list?

Further, could you please show a bit more about your scenario?

I suppose that you added a "Update item" action within your flow, is it true? I think this issue that you mentioned is related to infinite loop, the "Update item" action would fire the "When an item is created or modified" trigger again within your flow.

You could consider take a try to add a Condition within your flow to avoid the infinite loop. For example, you could consider take a try to add a Yes/No type custom column called UpdateFromFlow wihtin your SharePoint list and the default value of it is No. When you add a "Update item" action to update SharePoint list within your flow, set UpdateFromFlow field to Yes. In addition, add a Condition under the "When an item is created or modified" trigger, to check the value of UpdateFromFlow column, if the value is equal to true, do nothing:

22.JPG

Please check and see if the following thread would help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Flow-running-thousands-of-times-on-SP-qu...

Best regards,

Kris 

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Kris

Thank you for your reply.  I have put this problem on the back burner for the moment as have other more pressing Flow issues but will certainly take your advice when I re-visit this. 

Cheers

Kam

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (19,451)