Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DAsogan
Level: Power Up

Email Flow based on Conversation

Hi All,

I've built a simple flow to fill in data in an online Excel spreadsheet when an email comes in to a shared email inbox.  What I would like to do is only add to the data table in Excel if the conversation is new, i.e. if the e-mail recieved is a reply then I would not like it to fill in data.

I would also like to fill in another column when the first e-mail in the conversation is responded to and yet another column when the conversation is marked complete, but that may be another topic.

Any ideas on which conditions I should use?

Thanks in advance all.

Dhinesh

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Email Flow based on Conversation

Hi @DAsogan,

In general, the Subject line of Reply mail will be prefixed with a "RE:" or "Re:".

Perhaps you could check whether the subject of the received message starts with "Re:"/"RE:", if not, it is the new conversation. Then configure the corresponding action in the If no branch.

Formula reference:

@or(startsWith(triggerBody()?['Subject'], 'Re:'), startsWith(triggerBody()?['Subject'], 'RE:'))

Image reference:

7.PNG

Unfortunately, there is no suitable way to monitor whether the first e-mail in the conversation has responded currently. Flow does not currently support such a feature.

As for monitoring whether the conversation is marked as completed, you could use When an email is flagged as the trigger for Flow.

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DAsogan
Level: Power Up

Thanks Barry, that's a great suggestion!

I'll probably have to update it with regional language variations since I'm expecting e-mails from personnel that don't have English set on their local computer (e.g. German uses "AW:", etc.), but that is easy enough to add from the look of the formula.

Any idea where I could start with looking through the existing Subject column so the entry can be updated?

I'll have a play and post back if I find something.

Cheers,

Dhinesh

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DAsogan,

You could use Get rows action to get all the rows, then put the value of the Subject column into an array variable and see if the array contains the specified value.

A similar Thread hopes to give you some hints:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Connecting-To-Data/Check-if-value-in-excel-exist/m-p/174915#M375...

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,050)