cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Email Flow sends email every time SP list item is saved

I apologize in advance, I have searched this one extensively online as well as in this forum, but the solutions provided never looked right to me.  I have a PowerApp with a SharePoint list back end, and I created a Flow to send a different email to different recipients for each value in a "Status" column.  I used a Switch with 8 cases and it works fine.  But every time a list item is saved, the emails are sent out again.  I only want to send the email when the Status value changes.  I have seen posts about copying columns and whatnot, but this looked overly complicated, and again I have 8 cases in the Switch.  This was crazy simple in Designer, and the fact that this is apparently not even supported OOB in Power Automate is somewhat frustrating.  Screenshot below, thanks in advance.

PowerAppsCommunity_2020-03-26_12-39-43.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Email Flow sends email every time SP list item is saved

Hi @JRuss,

You could use the Send HTTP request to SharePoint action to get the previous version of the SharePoint item, then compare the last version with the previous version to check the Status version if it was changed.

If it was changed, do the flowing steps, switch and so on;

If it wasn't changed, do nothing.

There is a blog that how to get the previous version of the item:

https://www.catapultsystems.com/blogs/get-previous-versions-of-sharepoint-list-items-in-flow/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @JRuss 

Please follow this post

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/conditionally-triggering-ms-flow-based-on-columns-value/

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JRuss,

You could use the Send HTTP request to SharePoint action to get the previous version of the SharePoint item, then compare the last version with the previous version to check the Status version if it was changed.

If it was changed, do the flowing steps, switch and so on;

If it wasn't changed, do nothing.

There is a blog that how to get the previous version of the item:

https://www.catapultsystems.com/blogs/get-previous-versions-of-sharepoint-list-items-in-flow/

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks ABM - I implemented this potential solution, and although a fairly slick one, the WF still fires upon save, even if the Status value hasn't changed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,260)