cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSweigart
Frequent Visitor

Email a User To Request Action, not Approve/Reject

I am building a flow that will be used to automate the setup steps workflow for a new user creation. Right now, I am using multiple "Start an Approval" actions to send an email to each person responsible for a step of the setup, and asking them to hit Approve once they have completed their work and pass the workflow to the next step/approval. For example, the first "Approval" is sent to the person who is responsible for creating the new user in Active Directory. When they click "Approve", Flow will kick off the next "Approval" to the person who orders a mobile phone for the new user. When that person clicks "Approve", Flow sends the next "Approval" to the person who builds and installs their workstation, and so forth.

However, our team is concerned with what to do if someone clicks Reject instead of Approve. In this case, Reject really shouldn't be an option, because the people responsible for each step of the setup aren't making a choice. Is there a better way to have Flow send a person an email with some kind of button to click on, and to wait to move to the next step until that button is clicked? If not, how can I make Flow restart the approval if the person hits Reject?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Email a User To Request Action, not Approve/Reject

You can use the "Office 365 Outlook - Send Email With Options" action.  With that action, you can define one or more options of your choosing.  You can have a single response option if you would like.  The Flow will pause while waiting for the response.

After the response is received, you can move onto the next step (if you have a single option) or evaluate the given response and take action as appropriate.

You can also configure  "time out" and "run after" options and take action if someone does not respond in a timely manner.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

You can use the "Office 365 Outlook - Send Email With Options" action.  With that action, you can define one or more options of your choosing.  You can have a single response option if you would like.  The Flow will pause while waiting for the response.

After the response is received, you can move onto the next step (if you have a single option) or evaluate the given response and take action as appropriate.

You can also configure  "time out" and "run after" options and take action if someone does not respond in a timely manner.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

MSweigart
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,722)