Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cadone
Helper V
Helper V

Email when some one writes a comment to SharePoint list

Hello Guys

Is it possible to get an e-mail alert when some one comments on the SharePoint list?

I am thinking, we can use a modify item trigger. Or perhaps some kind of condition that will trigger only when the “comment” section is modified. Not sure if this conditional trigger is possible. 

Next, I want to get that item. Now, parse the “comments” section to a compose or a variable action. Then email the data to desired email. 

Do you guys think this is doable this way?

Thanks 

C1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @cadone 

Do you mean you want the flow to send an email with details of an item whose ‘Comments’ column has been changed?

If yes, then the following flow is for your reference:

3.1-11.PNG

If I’ve misunderstood your need, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Kira Xie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @cadone,

I might be wrong but I have tested this myself tonight and it doesn't look like adding comments constitute a modification to the item, therefore the flow will not trigger when you add a comment.  Comments are not returned in the output of the trigger either.  The only suggestion would be encourrage users to leave comments in a multi line column that you call "comments" specifically for your flow/purpose.  At the moment it's not even possible to disable comments from an individual list, albeit you can do this at a global level.  I would expect in time for Microsoft so support more granular controls at site level.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here

v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @cadone 

Do you mean you want the flow to send an email with details of an item whose ‘Comments’ column has been changed?

If yes, then the following flow is for your reference:

3.1-11.PNG

If I’ve misunderstood your need, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-yiwenxie-msft ,

That's interesting and i've learnt something there, but how/can you trigger on comments being made?  From what I could tell, you can only trigger on column changes of which comments were not one of them.  Or has my testing not worked? 🙂

Cheers,

Damien

@DamoBird365 

That’s right. I noticed it too. Commenting won’t be considered as item modification. Which makes sense. Also Commenting is not even has its column either. So I considered to create y own column.  

@v-yiwenxie-msft 

I like your I idea. Kudos. 
Just to clean up the comments and keep consistency, I considered formatting the comments in the flow. Added the lines

##### comments start #####

##### comments end #####

also, wanted to add the commenter name/time to know who wrote. I used user profile to get that data and appended. 

unfortunately, the flow caught itself in an infinite loop. This is because the trigger reads the formatting as a modified item. 

so I just considered not to format. Simply email certain key people to notify the new comments entry.

v-yiwenxie-msft
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @cadone 

Can I assume that your problem has been solved? If yes, could you please mark it as the solution to help other members find it more quickly?

If no, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (4,703)