cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KONeill102399
Helper I
Helper I

Emailing a HTML Table to each Manager of their employee information in one email

I am new to power automate and wanted to see if it was possible to email each manager a report of their employees a list of expired quotes.  I have created the query to pull the data from Power BI.  I also have the HTML table created.  But I don't know how to filter the array by the  manger so that only one email will be sent to them.

Does someone have a link to a video or examples that I can follow to attempt to create this?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @KONeill102399 ,

Here's a working flow that sends one email to each manager that contains all the related rows.  In this example I am using Excel at the data source but could be a SharePoint List too.  I hope you can use parts of this flow to make yours work.  I am using many of these flows and they always fire and deliver results.

trice602_0-1695504014922.png

So the first two actions under List rows present in a table are an Array and String variables shown below.

trice602_1-1695504060659.png

Next I am running an Apply  to each and capturing every single email from a column named Email from my List rows present in a table shown below.

trice602_2-1695504124097.png

Next you need to remove duplicates using a compose union() method.  This essentially provides you with a list of manager's emails (in your example).

trice602_3-1695504183434.png

Here's the last apply to each:

trice602_4-1695504223300.png

So, the filter array is going to find all the rows where the current item matches the email list, then you create your html table next.

trice602_5-1695504285624.png

You mentioned you already had your Create HTML table action completed, so not going to describe it in detail here, but here's mine:

trice602_6-1695504343847.png

In my example, I also create a csv file to send as an attachment, so you can see those steps here too.

trice602_7-1695504394355.png

I also use a FormatTable string to replace my create html table content with a border and spacing shown below:

replace(body('Create_HTML_table'),'<table>','<table border="1" style="padding:10px">')

The last step is sending the email.  The To: is the current item (the manager's email) and in the body of the email I have my nicely formatted html table.  Next I add my csv file as an attachment and this will loop through email manager's email and send an email with all their related rows.

trice602_8-1695504537854.png

If this was helpful: Please mark as a solution Give me a thumbs up Always glad to help, Tom! Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @KONeill102399 ,

Here's the answers to your questions.  I also reran my flow to get some current output to compare and help explain each output and/or compare differences.  On the surface, it may be a dataset difference issue, I am using a simple excel table and you are using a pbi dataset.

Question #1:  Yes, this is your output from union.  You should have a list of unique email addresses and I think you can check this off.

trice602_0-1695575983213.png

Question #2:  this is my output from List rows present in a table.

trice602_1-1695576132586.png

Question #3:  No, this is not the variable emailaddresslist it is the column in my List rows present in a table, in my case I have a column named "Email".  So in my filter array, using my compose union output:

I want to filter array by the current item that is equal to the [Email] column in my table below.

trice602_2-1695576358845.png

trice602_3-1695576543897.png

Question for you, can you access your [Email] column as dynamic content shown below?

trice602_4-1695576665823.png

Here's my filter array input/output.  It looks like you may need to use a Parse JSON before your filter array so you can access individual columns.

trice602_5-1695576810976.png

If this was helpful: Please mark as a solution Give me a thumbs up Always glad to help, Tom! Connect on LinkedIn

trice602
Super User
Super User

Output: 

trice602_6-1695576968734.png

Nice! If you could mark one or more replies as a solution, much appreciated! 

14 REPLIES 14
trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @KONeill102399 ,

Here's a working flow that sends one email to each manager that contains all the related rows.  In this example I am using Excel at the data source but could be a SharePoint List too.  I hope you can use parts of this flow to make yours work.  I am using many of these flows and they always fire and deliver results.

trice602_0-1695504014922.png

So the first two actions under List rows present in a table are an Array and String variables shown below.

trice602_1-1695504060659.png

Next I am running an Apply  to each and capturing every single email from a column named Email from my List rows present in a table shown below.

trice602_2-1695504124097.png

Next you need to remove duplicates using a compose union() method.  This essentially provides you with a list of manager's emails (in your example).

trice602_3-1695504183434.png

Here's the last apply to each:

trice602_4-1695504223300.png

So, the filter array is going to find all the rows where the current item matches the email list, then you create your html table next.

trice602_5-1695504285624.png

You mentioned you already had your Create HTML table action completed, so not going to describe it in detail here, but here's mine:

trice602_6-1695504343847.png

In my example, I also create a csv file to send as an attachment, so you can see those steps here too.

trice602_7-1695504394355.png

I also use a FormatTable string to replace my create html table content with a border and spacing shown below:

replace(body('Create_HTML_table'),'<table>','<table border="1" style="padding:10px">')

The last step is sending the email.  The To: is the current item (the manager's email) and in the body of the email I have my nicely formatted html table.  Next I add my csv file as an attachment and this will loop through email manager's email and send an email with all their related rows.

trice602_8-1695504537854.png

KONeill102399
Helper I
Helper I

Here is my flow that I have so far but i can't get the apply to each and filter to work.

Power Automate Flow.png

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @KONeill102399 ,

Wow this is great!  You definitely know what you are doing here.  Here's what I see in your filter array:

In your filter array you are comparing the entire body of your PBI dataset to see if it is equal to the current item and that should always return no rows.

trice602_0-1695505622861.png

And here's my example:

In my example, I am comparing the email values to my current item.   I believe this is your root cause.

trice602_1-1695505656906.png

I don't understand the apply to each and filter because my results are blank.  Can you please explain what each output is from?

1 Is it the output from the compose union?

2 Is it the First Table Rows (query results as an array of rows) or CheckQueryIFBlank which is an array of the Power BI query?

3 - Variable Email list?

Apply to Each Filter.pngResults.png

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @KONeill102399 ,

Here's the answers to your questions.  I also reran my flow to get some current output to compare and help explain each output and/or compare differences.  On the surface, it may be a dataset difference issue, I am using a simple excel table and you are using a pbi dataset.

Question #1:  Yes, this is your output from union.  You should have a list of unique email addresses and I think you can check this off.

trice602_0-1695575983213.png

Question #2:  this is my output from List rows present in a table.

trice602_1-1695576132586.png

Question #3:  No, this is not the variable emailaddresslist it is the column in my List rows present in a table, in my case I have a column named "Email".  So in my filter array, using my compose union output:

I want to filter array by the current item that is equal to the [Email] column in my table below.

trice602_2-1695576358845.png

trice602_3-1695576543897.png

Question for you, can you access your [Email] column as dynamic content shown below?

trice602_4-1695576665823.png

Here's my filter array input/output.  It looks like you may need to use a Parse JSON before your filter array so you can access individual columns.

trice602_5-1695576810976.png

trice602
Super User
Super User

Output: 

trice602_6-1695576968734.png

Thank you for the help.  I learned a ton with this flow.  

Nice! If you could mark one or more replies as a solution, much appreciated! 

BurcuIsik
Helper I
Helper I

@trice602 For Filter Array: How can I put the "current item" that is equal to the "E-Mail data"?

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @BurcuIsik ,

Please see screenshot from previous reply; here's a quick clip.  So, remember here, in this apply to each we use filter array to find all the rows in our email list that match the email column in the excel table.

trice602_0-1703169503139.png

@trice602 Thanks for your help. I have still problems to choose the email row from my data: I could reproduce the "Current item" is equal to: my email row is like this:  'vdwc_ProjC_Contacts'[mail] How is the correct way for the second part of The Filter query for mail? is this correct? this delivers always blanc table

item()?['vdwc_ProjC_Contacts['mail']

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @BurcuIsik ,

The second part of the filter array is the dynamic content from the excel table column for your email addresses, just select the column as dynamic content - you don't have to type anything out there.

@trice602 I have only the whole data from Power BI not the Email as a row: I can only choose his: 

BurcuIsik_0-1703170665460.png

Therefore I try to choose the row for the mails. My data is coming from Power BI Table not  Excel. Many thanks.

trice602
Super User
Super User

Hi @BurcuIsik ,

I recommend you start a new post and include your entire flow.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Super User of the Month | Drew Poggemann

As part of a new monthly feature in the Community, we are excited to share that Drew Poggemann is our featured Super User for the month of February 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure Drew's name is familiar to you, as he is one of our most active contributors--he's been a Super User for five consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply 5 years ago to his 514th solution authored, Drew has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Drew is also a User Group leader and a Microsoft MVP. His contributions to our Super User sessions and to the new SUIT program are always welcome--as well as his sense of humor and fun-loving way of sharing what he knows with others.   When Drew is not solving problems and authoring solutions, he's busy overseeing the Solution Architecture team at HBS, specializing in application architecture and business solution strategy--something he's been doing for over 30 years. We are grateful for Drew and the amazing way he has used his talent and skills to help so many others in the Community. If you are part of the SUIT program, you got to hear some great tips from Drew at the first SUIT session--and we know he still has much more to share!You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thank you for all you do, Drew!

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Our team will be reviewing posts using the new "Copilot Studio" label to ensure we highlight and amplify the most relevant and recent content, so you're assured of high-quality content every time you visit. If you share a post that gets featured in the curated gallery, you'll get a PM in the Community to let you know!The curated gallery is ready for you to experience now, so visit the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community. We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Celebrating a New Season of Super Users with Charles Lamanna, CVP Microsoft Business Applications

February 8 was the kickoff to the 2024 Season One Super User program for Power Platform Communities, and we are thrilled to welcome back so many returning Super Users--as well as so many brand new Super Users who started their journey last fall. Our Community Super Users are the true heroes, answering questions, providing solutions, filtering spam, and so much more. The impact they make on the Communities each day is significant, and we wanted to do something special to welcome them at our first kickoff meeting of the year.   Charles Lamanna, Microsoft CVP of Business Applications, has stressed frequently how valuable our Community is to the growth and potential of Power Platform, and we are honored to share this message from him to our 2024 Season One Super Users--as well as anyone who might be interested in joining this elite group of Community members.     If you want to know more about Super Users, check out these posts for more information today:    Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Super Users 2024 Season One is Here!

We are excited to announce the first season of our 2024 Super Users is here! Our kickoff to the new year welcomes many returning Super Users and several new faces, and it's always exciting to see the impact these incredible individuals will have on the Community in 2024! We are so grateful for the daily difference they make in the Community already and know they will keep staying engaged and excited for all that will happen this year.   How to Spot a Super User in the Community:Have you ever written a post or asked for help in the Community and had it answered by a user with the Super User icon next to their name? It means you have found the actual, real-life superheroes of the Power Platform Community! Super Users are our heroes because of the way they consistently make a difference in the Community. Our amazing Super Users help keep the Community a safe place by flagging spam and letting the Community Managers know about issues. They also make the Community a great place to find answers, because they are often the first to offer solutions and get clarity on questions. Finally, Super Users share valuable insights on ways to keep the Community growing, engaging, and looking ahead!We are honored to reveal the new badges for this season of Super Users! Congratulations to all the new and returning Super Users!     To better answer the question "What is a Super User?" please check out this article: Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Microsoft Power Platform | 2024 Release Wave 1 Plan

Check out the latest Microsoft Power Platform release plans for 2024!   We have a whole host of exciting new features to help you be more productive, enhance delegation, run automated testing, build responsive pages, and so much more.    Click the links below to see not only our forthcoming releases, but to also try out some of the new features that have recently been released to market across:     Power Apps  Power Automate  Copilot Studio   We can’t wait to share with you all the upcoming releases that will help take your Power Platform experience to the next level!    Check out the entire Release Wave: Power Platform Complete Release Planner 

It's Time to S.U.I.T. Up! Season One Begins This Week

After its initial announcement met with such resounding success at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference last fall, the Super User In Training Program's first season is about to kick off! We are so excited to welcome hundreds of potential new Super Users who have signed up for our inaugural program.Not sure what a Super User is yet? Keep reading:Have you ever been exploring the community and come across a user with this unique icon next to their name? It means you have found the actual, real-life superheroes of the Power Platform Community! Super Users are our heroes because of the way they are consistently helpful with everything from solutions to flagging spam, offering insight on the community, and so much more!If you've ever wondered exactly what a Super User does and how they earn that special badge, please check out this article: Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Virtual Agents: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityIf you missed this season of S.U.I.T., don't worry! We have a whole new season coming soon, so watch our News & Announcements for updates on when you can sign up and get your Super User SUIT on!

Users online (4,437)