cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cflbasser12

Enter null/blank value into a Date column of a SharePoint list

I have a Form with a few optional date fields. When the form is submitted, it kicks off a Power Automate which takes the form submission, and creates a new record in a SharePoint list. When the optional date fields are not entered, the flow fails with the following error:

The 'inputs.parameters' of workflow operation 'Create_item' of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: Input parameter 'item/Date_x0020_of_x0020_Test' is required to be of type 'String/date'. The runtime value '""' to be converted doesn't have the expected format 'String/date'.

I tried the solution presented here, with no luck. I've tried setting variables with various combinations of null and "" with no luck.

In my current setup, I hard coded a date of 1/1/1900, which allows the flow to work. But also inserts a bogus date into the List.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cflbasser12

I figured out a solution... For future reference…

1. Create a variable called ‘Null’ and set it to a string value of ‘Null’
2. In the flow, create a condition that checks the Form value – If blank, set a variable ‘DateVariable’ equal to a string value of ‘Null’; If not blank, set ‘DateVariable’ equal to the Form’s date value
3. Use the following equation on the Create SharePoint Item for the date field:

if(equals(variables(‘DateVariable’),variables(‘Null’)),null,variables(‘DateVariable’))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
cflbasser12

I figured out a solution... For future reference…

1. Create a variable called ‘Null’ and set it to a string value of ‘Null’
2. In the flow, create a condition that checks the Form value – If blank, set a variable ‘DateVariable’ equal to a string value of ‘Null’; If not blank, set ‘DateVariable’ equal to the Form’s date value
3. Use the following equation on the Create SharePoint Item for the date field:

if(equals(variables(‘DateVariable’),variables(‘Null’)),null,variables(‘DateVariable’))

View solution in original post

rohsh354
Community Support
Community Support

Thank you for sharing the solution. I am sure this can help others facing this issue.

SC31
Frequent Visitor

This is exactly what I have been trying to achieve.

1. Forms: when a new response is submitted (choose list etc.)
  2. Initialize variable: Null, String, Null
  3. Then I believe I'm meant to have:
    Set variable: Null (name from dropdown) but not sure what to put for value as it won't allow "null" <-- need assistance here please
  4. Condition <-- here the dynamic content for my date variable is not appearing as an option. Assuming here this should be the name of the form field that contains the date response?
  5. Apply to each: matched all the form fields to the list but for the date one added the if statement from the solution replacing 'datevariable' with the dynamic content of my form and 'Null' with the variable Null

@cflbasser12 Would you mind posting a screenshot of the working flow please?

Not sure what went wrong, but I was beating my head on the wall trying to figure out why that statement didnt work.  Well, I did a copy paste.  Single quotes were a different font for some strange reason...

Code block keeps it pure.

if(equals(variables('ShipDate'),variables('Null')),null,variables('ShipDate'))

JVieira
Regular Visitor

@cflbasser12 

I am having same difficulty SC31 is having. 

Can you please posting a screenshot of the flow?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,197)