When I try to set up an action of any kind, the error "No available storage method found." is shown upon selecting the action. Could this related to the previlevge of mine account?
Are you sure you are trying to add the step utilizing the correct connection and credentials? You can click the ellipsis of the step, and verify the connection and credentials being used under My Connections:
You may also want to refresh/re-add the credentials for the SharePoint site, by going to the Data > Connections menu:
Then in the connection click the ellipsis and click Switch account and/or Delete and then re-add it:
Finally, make sure that the account you are trying to use have full read/write access to both the SharePoint site and the SharePoint list you are accessing.
If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
Have checked the points mentioned and all are correct, I will pursue this with our internal I.T. to ensure they have mess with mine account privileges.
Hi @gc2 ,
You could try to configure the connection with another user's account to see if it has the same situation.
Had a call with internal IT and coincidentally all problem has disappeared. I have requested to follow up with MS support to get to the bottom of this. Will update this post if I got any news.
Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!
Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!
We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!
Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!
Learn how to build the business apps that you need.
Find out where you can attend!
Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!