cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbtz
Regular Visitor

Error when trying to copy a flow: xrm instance API not defined

Good morning,

When trying to save a cloud flow with another name (create a copy), I receive the following error message, as per below screenshot: xrm instance API not defined. Does anyone know a solution to this?

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Garrana
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys,

Just a newbie here, so take this with a(ll) grain(s) of salt.

I was facing the exact same issue until I created a Table under Data (default options, including examples), on the said environment, then proceeded to create a Connection with Microsoft Dataverse.

It will take a while to create a table, it still presented the same error immediately after creating, but after 5-10 minutes all was automagically solved and I was able to copy the flow.

Btw I noticed it after doing the above and after opening the same flow under Power Apps, so there is a smaller chance that opening the same flow under Power Apps did the trick.

HTH.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Hikari
Regular Visitor

Same problem here. Not sure then it started, but I spotted it a week ago.

Any ideas?

OhNoNotAgain

And another here as well. Tried different browsers as well...

Jakeiswhoiam

Same here.... very annoying

SheffCSSP

Hello. Same problem here. It's been failing for at least a week. The flows I need to replicate are pretty simple, but it is still taking a LOT longer to redo it from scratch every time rather than using the "Save as" function. Still no sign of any response here from anyone at Microsoft? Not even a "we're looking into it"?

petecuff

Same error message here when copying a flow.  FWIW I can access PA on 2 orgs, and it's only on one of them.

Rolbear

Same problem. Would really appreciate a solution to this. Power Automate Desktop seems to work fine for new flows, but somehow I cannot access my flows from cloud 365 flow Version.

Garrana
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys,

Just a newbie here, so take this with a(ll) grain(s) of salt.

I was facing the exact same issue until I created a Table under Data (default options, including examples), on the said environment, then proceeded to create a Connection with Microsoft Dataverse.

It will take a while to create a table, it still presented the same error immediately after creating, but after 5-10 minutes all was automagically solved and I was able to copy the flow.

Btw I noticed it after doing the above and after opening the same flow under Power Apps, so there is a smaller chance that opening the same flow under Power Apps did the trick.

HTH.

petecuff

Rightly, wrongly, doesn't matter: @Garrana's hack above worked for me so recommend trying - many thanks G... 

stack22

going off of @Garrana 's post, I simply added the Dataverse connection on the Desktop flows tab next to the Cloud flows tab in My Flows. Restarted my computer and 5-10 minutes later signed back in and successfully copied existing flow using Save As.

Seems like Power Automate is quietly forcing users to enable Dataverse imo

Edited my post to strikethrough the past paragraph, since @petecuff and @stack22 confirmed my first guess is probably the right one.

Regarding @stack22 suspicion that Power Automate is "quietly forcing" users to enable Dataverse, I believe that besides the looks, it seems more likely to me that Power Automate simply doesn't have anywhere to "save" the data on the cloud and expects you to have Dataverse tables enabled. The current copy method probably was tested against this assumption, and when it's not there it simply throws the exception. Developer hindsight and/or something assumption inherited from PowerBI/PowerApps environments, who knows.

@jbtz let us know if this workaround worked for you. If it did, could you kindly mark as accepted solution to help future victims?

Cheers!

@Garrana could you please tell me where is the menu to create a connection to the Dataverse? I managed to create the table as you instructed, but the +New Connection menu doesn't show anything related to Dataverse.

@labstech001 

Captura de Tela 2022-11-30 às 17.26.08.pngGTH!

@Garrana Nevermind. Only creating the table and waiting for a few minutes did the trick.

Bharti_Satpute
Frequent Visitor

@Garrana , Thanks. It works. I was facing same issue. Created database in dataverse and then able to save copy of flow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,374)