cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RAM05
Level: Powered On

Everyone must Approve - how do I return either Approved or Rejected to update document approval status in library?

Hello everyone,

I am only new to using Flow, but happy with my progress until now.

I have been working on an Approval Workflow for a document library. When a new document is created or modified  (properties only) it requires everyone to approve at the 'Start and wait for committee approval' stage. It is then sent to a final approval stage for publishing and made available to Sp users with read permissions.

I have created a column in the library named 'Doc Approval Status' and as the workflow progresses it changes the status from Draft (as when first uploaded) to Pending (following 'Start and wait for committee approval' stage) to Approved at the final stage of approval. 

I have built the flow as shown.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

It works great if I only have one (1) email address (approver) in the 'Start and wait for committee approval' step.

If it is approved by the approver it proceeds to the next stage of approval (at this time status is 'Pending'), once approved by the final approver it is changed to 'Approved'.

Likewise, if it is rejected by the approver at the 'Start and wait for committee approval' stage it sends an email to the initiator advising it has been rejected and changes the status to 'Rejected'. No further action.
Where I have an issue is when I add more than one email in the 'Start and wait for committee approval' stage. It has behaved differently:

1) It either treats the approval as rejected, even though all of the approvers have approved it; or

2) It times-out. 

I am not sure whether I am correctly interrogating or trapping the 'Approved' or 'Rejected' condition following the 'Start and wait for committee approval' stage. I have searched for examples of how to treat this issue but I am at a loss. I know I am close, but at my whits' end. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russel

Capture2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RAM05

RESOLVED: Everyone must Approve - how do I return either Approved or Rejected to update document approval status in library?

I have finally worked it out thanks to a previous post https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/New-approvals-don-t-have-response-option/m-p/2924....

I didn't realise as each approver approves the document, the Approve response is concatenated, so if I have 2 approvers approve the document, the response is Approve, Approve. 
The condition I was using to interrogate the response was 'if equals Approve'. Because it was returning 'Approve, Approve' the result was False. Having read the abovementioned post last night, Beriev pointed me in the right direction by setting the condition in my flow to 'if does not equal - Reject' then it would work correctly, i.e. Approve the flow. So thank you Beriev.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RAM05

RESOLVED: Everyone must Approve - how do I return either Approved or Rejected to update document approval status in library?

I have finally worked it out thanks to a previous post https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/New-approvals-don-t-have-response-option/m-p/2924....

I didn't realise as each approver approves the document, the Approve response is concatenated, so if I have 2 approvers approve the document, the response is Approve, Approve. 
The condition I was using to interrogate the response was 'if equals Approve'. Because it was returning 'Approve, Approve' the result was False. Having read the abovementioned post last night, Beriev pointed me in the right direction by setting the condition in my flow to 'if does not equal - Reject' then it would work correctly, i.e. Approve the flow. So thank you Beriev.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: Everyone must Approve - how do I return either Approved or Rejected to update document approval status in library?

Hi @RAM05 ,

I think you should use the 'Responses' in the Switch action.

Capture3.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 240 members 4,946 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: