cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ectra
Level: Powered On

Excel Failed to Get Row

Hi,

I have a 4 parrallel flows set up that when I activate it manually it will look in 4 different sheets and see if there is new data or updated data.

When I update data in 1 sheet, that flow will be succeful if I activate the flow and the 3 other sheets will fail.

However, that is exactly what I want. How do I have the flow accept that it's a good thing and stop giving me false positives and failed notifications.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jwhite
Level 8

Re: Excel Failed to Get Row

Hi @Ectra,

Instead of getting a row with the key value of NEW or change I would reccomend that instead you use the "List rows present in a table" and filter it by rows with values in the status column equal to the appropriate status as below:

I set up a flow with a similar structure to yours but with filters on the list rows rather than a get rows:

FilterExcelFilters.png

as you can see I added a fitler query to each of Status eq 'NEW' or Status eq 'Change' to make sure that we are only getting rows we are interested in.

I then use an Apply to each to go through the rows we have returned and do any appropriate actions for a new or changed record. If there aren't any records which have NEW or change in the status column the list will be empty so nothing will happen:

FilterExcelApply.png

It's important to note here that because you want to update the row with the event ID you will still need a unique identifier column for the key column/value. I added a column which just increments +1 to the previous entry, but any unique value will do. I added a similar apply to each for the "Change" list rows as well.

With this setup the flows will not give you failed notifications when there isn't a row with the value of new, but will still only do any actions if there are rows with a status of new (or change).

Let me know if this helps or if it isn't suitable for you!

Full flow in spoiler:

Spoiler
FilterExcelFullFlow.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jwhite
Level 8

Hi @Ectra ,

Would you mind sharing your flows? I'm having a hard time seeing why you would ever want your flow to fail, I believe it could more elegantly be handled by a condition or filter checking if your criteria has been met and if not simply doing nothing or returning a notification to inform of that outcome.

Ectra

https://imgur.com/aCdpj3V

Basically, there are two sheets.

If I add something in 1 sheet it will look in the first column for the word "new". 

When it finds the word "new" it will make an event in the calendar with the details that I have in the excel file.

However, I didn't add something in the second sheet, thus it cannot find "New" in that sheet. Thus it will fail.
That is fine for me, because I don't want it to do anything on that sheet because I didnt make any changes.

jwhite
Level 8

Hi @Ectra,

Instead of getting a row with the key value of NEW or change I would reccomend that instead you use the "List rows present in a table" and filter it by rows with values in the status column equal to the appropriate status as below:

I set up a flow with a similar structure to yours but with filters on the list rows rather than a get rows:

FilterExcelFilters.png

as you can see I added a fitler query to each of Status eq 'NEW' or Status eq 'Change' to make sure that we are only getting rows we are interested in.

I then use an Apply to each to go through the rows we have returned and do any appropriate actions for a new or changed record. If there aren't any records which have NEW or change in the status column the list will be empty so nothing will happen:

FilterExcelApply.png

It's important to note here that because you want to update the row with the event ID you will still need a unique identifier column for the key column/value. I added a column which just increments +1 to the previous entry, but any unique value will do. I added a similar apply to each for the "Change" list rows as well.

With this setup the flows will not give you failed notifications when there isn't a row with the value of new, but will still only do any actions if there are rows with a status of new (or change).

Let me know if this helps or if it isn't suitable for you!

Full flow in spoiler:

Spoiler
FilterExcelFullFlow.png

View solution in original post

Ectra

Thanks I'll give this a try later.

Ectra

Thank you very much! I implemented this method and the flow works great now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 159 members 4,841 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: