cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Excel Failed to Get Row

Hi,

I have a 4 parrallel flows set up that when I activate it manually it will look in 4 different sheets and see if there is new data or updated data.

When I update data in 1 sheet, that flow will be succeful if I activate the flow and the 3 other sheets will fail.

However, that is exactly what I want. How do I have the flow accept that it's a good thing and stop giving me false positives and failed notifications.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Re: Excel Failed to Get Row

Hi @Ectra,

Instead of getting a row with the key value of NEW or change I would reccomend that instead you use the "List rows present in a table" and filter it by rows with values in the status column equal to the appropriate status as below:

I set up a flow with a similar structure to yours but with filters on the list rows rather than a get rows:

FilterExcelFilters.png

as you can see I added a fitler query to each of Status eq 'NEW' or Status eq 'Change' to make sure that we are only getting rows we are interested in.

I then use an Apply to each to go through the rows we have returned and do any appropriate actions for a new or changed record. If there aren't any records which have NEW or change in the status column the list will be empty so nothing will happen:

FilterExcelApply.png

It's important to note here that because you want to update the row with the event ID you will still need a unique identifier column for the key column/value. I added a column which just increments +1 to the previous entry, but any unique value will do. I added a similar apply to each for the "Change" list rows as well.

With this setup the flows will not give you failed notifications when there isn't a row with the value of new, but will still only do any actions if there are rows with a status of new (or change).

Let me know if this helps or if it isn't suitable for you!

Full flow in spoiler:

Spoiler
FilterExcelFullFlow.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Ectra ,

Would you mind sharing your flows? I'm having a hard time seeing why you would ever want your flow to fail, I believe it could more elegantly be handled by a condition or filter checking if your criteria has been met and if not simply doing nothing or returning a notification to inform of that outcome.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

https://imgur.com/aCdpj3V

Basically, there are two sheets.

If I add something in 1 sheet it will look in the first column for the word "new". 

When it finds the word "new" it will make an event in the calendar with the details that I have in the excel file.

However, I didn't add something in the second sheet, thus it cannot find "New" in that sheet. Thus it will fail.
That is fine for me, because I don't want it to do anything on that sheet because I didnt make any changes.

Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Ectra,

Instead of getting a row with the key value of NEW or change I would reccomend that instead you use the "List rows present in a table" and filter it by rows with values in the status column equal to the appropriate status as below:

I set up a flow with a similar structure to yours but with filters on the list rows rather than a get rows:

FilterExcelFilters.png

as you can see I added a fitler query to each of Status eq 'NEW' or Status eq 'Change' to make sure that we are only getting rows we are interested in.

I then use an Apply to each to go through the rows we have returned and do any appropriate actions for a new or changed record. If there aren't any records which have NEW or change in the status column the list will be empty so nothing will happen:

FilterExcelApply.png

It's important to note here that because you want to update the row with the event ID you will still need a unique identifier column for the key column/value. I added a column which just increments +1 to the previous entry, but any unique value will do. I added a similar apply to each for the "Change" list rows as well.

With this setup the flows will not give you failed notifications when there isn't a row with the value of new, but will still only do any actions if there are rows with a status of new (or change).

Let me know if this helps or if it isn't suitable for you!

Full flow in spoiler:

Spoiler
FilterExcelFullFlow.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks I'll give this a try later.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much! I implemented this method and the flow works great now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,995)