cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Imrans23
Frequent Visitor

Excel Now() function doesn't update when pulling from sheet

Hey all, 

I am having a small issue where I am trying to pull a dynamic value from an excel file (cell formula is "=NOW()" formatted as time) and send it to myself as a teams message. However, whenever I pull it, it shows me the data as it was last loaded and not the current time.

For instance, in the below screenshot, it shows 3:20:54. If I were to close excel as is and then run the flow below after 10 minutes, it will still return 3:20:54. Was wondering if I am missing a step that can address this issue? 

I particularly need the current time to be generated within excel because in my actual workflow, I have queries within cells and those queries concatenate the actual query text with the current time so I can run the query with respect to current time.

Imrans23_1-1667427671957.png

Imrans23_0-1667427633949.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
grantjenkins
Community Champion
Community Champion

Why are you trying to get the current time from Excel? If you wanted the current time, then you can get this directly from within your Power Automate.

The way I'd do it is use Convert time zone so you can easily convert the UTC time into your time zone and format the output so it's the same as what you have in your Excel.

grantjenkins_0-1667431967888.png

The expression to get the current Date/Time is:

utcNow()

And the format to get hour:minute;second AM/PM (similar to your Excel format) is:

h:mm:ss tt

You can then get the other data from Excel and concatenate it with your time. Or am I missing something specific to your issue?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've answered your question, please mark the post as Solved.

If you like my response, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
grantjenkins
Community Champion
Community Champion

Why are you trying to get the current time from Excel? If you wanted the current time, then you can get this directly from within your Power Automate.

The way I'd do it is use Convert time zone so you can easily convert the UTC time into your time zone and format the output so it's the same as what you have in your Excel.

grantjenkins_0-1667431967888.png

The expression to get the current Date/Time is:

utcNow()

And the format to get hour:minute;second AM/PM (similar to your Excel format) is:

h:mm:ss tt

You can then get the other data from Excel and concatenate it with your time. Or am I missing something specific to your issue?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I've answered your question, please mark the post as Solved.

If you like my response, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Lol, since I had already concatenated in excel, I was fixated on that. Pretty simple fix. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,423)