Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KamilAdamczyk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Excel can and can't find file based on file ID

Hi!

I have issue and I'm pretty sure it's bugged function. I'm looking for solutions to avoid that.

All files which I use are newly created with new dynamic name. In action list all rows it works perfectly however when I try update a row in different file I can't do the same. I tried: ID, Path, identifier, etc.

The error says about bad format, file can't be located etc. Generally error #400

I would be grateful for solution. Otherwise my flow will can do only one run in the time what makes it useless.

double trouble.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello,

Unfortunately at this time the excel connector does not allow dynamic file names.

You can request this feature here.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Allow-for-dynamic-quot-file-quot-value-for-...

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KamilAdamczyk ,

According to the documentation, we can use the File identifier to configure the File field.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#known-issues-and-limitations

But it seems that the fields contained in the table cannot be obtained and configured.

As the error message shows, the File that needs to be configured in the Update a row action has not been created, so the fields contained in the table cannot be configured.

Basically, we need to configure the existing File and the defined table, and then the fields contained in the table will be displayed in the Update a row action. If this is the situation you describe, we cannot configure Update a row action.

Hope it makes sense.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

7 REPLIES 7
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello,

Unfortunately at this time the excel connector does not allow dynamic file names.

You can request this feature here.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Allow-for-dynamic-quot-file-quot-value-for-...

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

KamilAdamczyk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I found in documentation it supports sharepoint file ID and it WORKS. Works however only with list a rows second part of flow don't work. There is for sure different way to achieve this result.

Hi,

You could try the workaround in this blog.
http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/5/workarounds-needed-to-use-the-excel-connector-in-microsoft-flow

This workaround is not easy,

If you do find a better way please feel free to share.

As I had to use the above workaround for a Project a couple of months ago.
Thanks

—Josh

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

KamilAdamczyk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I don't see any relation to use it in my case. Maybe I'm to new to Power Automate.

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KamilAdamczyk ,

According to the documentation, we can use the File identifier to configure the File field.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/#known-issues-and-limitations

But it seems that the fields contained in the table cannot be obtained and configured.

As the error message shows, the File that needs to be configured in the Update a row action has not been created, so the fields contained in the table cannot be configured.

Basically, we need to configure the existing File and the defined table, and then the fields contained in the table will be displayed in the Update a row action. If this is the situation you describe, we cannot configure Update a row action.

Hope it makes sense.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I hope Power Automate will start responding for users needs because some of functions which we ask are on the community portal from 2018.

Hi @KamilAdamczyk ,

Please consider voting for posts with similar needs in the ideas forum. Hotter suggestions are easier to be adopted by the Product Team:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (81,237)