cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardW
Frequent Visitor

Excel create table failed: Not supported file format..

Dear community, I am a new user of Power Automate and I encountered this problem: I tried to create a table from an Excel file but got below error message: "Not supported file format. Please select another file."

The excel file is the normal .xlsx file and I haven't find any solution online...could you help me look into the issue? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @RichardW,

Sorry, I should explain more clearly. In my first reply, it is an example to create a table in a fixed file located in the OneDrive, but in the following reply you post, the file is dynamic and stored in the OneDrive, it is impossible to create a table in a dynamic Excel file located in OneDrive cause this action couldn't get the Excel according to the ID of the newly created file.

Annotation 2020-07-01 171321.jpg

If you want to create a new table in a newly created file, you could create these files into the SharePoint, then in the File field, use the Identifier to find the Excel file.

Annotation 2020-07-01 172143.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichardW,

How you configured the Create table action? If possible, could you please share screenshot of your Flow?

The following is my example about Create table, maybe it could make sense how to create a table:

Annotation 2020-06-26 100624.jpg

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

Below is how I configured "create table". Initially I picked the folder path like what you did and it gave me the "not supported format" error(as in 2nd pic) . Then I tried using "Id" from previous step but got the same error as well.

I was trying to upload the test report excel file for your reference but looks like it's not allowed. Basically the excel file has two sheets by default, and I wanted to create table in one of the sheet. Let me know if you need additional info. Thanks!

create table config.JPG

create table error.JPG

Hi @RichardW,

If you want to create a table in an Excel file located in the OneDrive, it is impossible to do it.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

Sorry slightly confused, as seems like the example screenshot you shared was also referencing OneDrive location? If not OneDrive, may I ask what are my options?

Hi @RichardW,

Sorry, I should explain more clearly. In my first reply, it is an example to create a table in a fixed file located in the OneDrive, but in the following reply you post, the file is dynamic and stored in the OneDrive, it is impossible to create a table in a dynamic Excel file located in OneDrive cause this action couldn't get the Excel according to the ID of the newly created file.

Annotation 2020-07-01 171321.jpg

If you want to create a new table in a newly created file, you could create these files into the SharePoint, then in the File field, use the Identifier to find the Excel file.

Annotation 2020-07-01 172143.jpg

Best Regards,

Got it. Thanks @v-litu-msft for your help!

@v-litu-msft, did something recently change that caused this no longer to work. I had a workflow that worked with creating tables for files in a OneDrive for Business file locations. It recently stopped working in about May. 

I was able to do it within OneDrive by using the trigger when a file is created, Get File Content, use the File Identifier, and using that to identify the dynamic file.  I did have to create a separate workflow for the email attachment to create the file in a OneDrive file location.ExcelCreateTable.png

leecro
Regular Visitor

This may have changed - the necessary file identifier format can be derived from the 'File locator' property as provided by actions such as 'Create file' (OneDrive for Business)

Examining a successful run with a manually-selected file shows that information is expected in the following format:

drive: b!iHWy6y5laUmrfACyUT_BLd3xqvovhzlDvLG9eS0jqvQAyDYX78B5RbLCHIaaBgYy
file: 01V4L2S3COREODXRDVTNAIDTGWSU34O3ZL

and 'FileLocator' returns the following:

b!iHWy6y5laUmrfACyUT_BLd3xqvovhzlDvLG9eS0jqvQAyDYX78B5RbLCHIaaBgYy.01V4L2S3BFJX2IORCLABA3H4FTQHGVLVSJ

Taking everything after the "." is sufficient for dynamic Excel activities.

eg: 

substring(outputs('Create_file')?['body/FileLocator'],add(indexOf(outputs('Create_file')?['body/FileLocator'],'.'),1))

We're using the same OneDrive for every instance of this, but presumably genericising the 'drive' reference would work as well, with the following (not tested, might need +/-1 on the length):

substring(outputs('Create_file')?['body/FileLocator'],0,indexOf(outputs('Create_file')?['body/FileLocator'],'.'))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,090)