cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoubleSupercool

Excel row to individual Teams chat: post a direct message as User, NOT Flow Bot. Possible?

I am a teacher of low level English speakers / low tech competence students in Japan. I would like to:

> Check an Excel row for the number of absences a student has.

> Automatically send a direct message to the student via Teams chat, when their absences reach certain numbers (e.g. 3,6,9)
> Send the direct message as being from me, NOT from Flow Bot

As far as I can tell, Power Automate will only let me send this direct message as coming from Flow Bot.
I would like the message to appear as coming from me, to avoid confusion.

The following test works (no conditional triggers yet), but obviously the message appears as if it was sent from this mysterious "Flow Bot".

I find it pretty strange that you CAN do this for teams and channels, but not for individual users. It also seems to be no problem to do this by sending an email, but with these students, I can't be certain that they ever check their emails, while they are more likely to check Teams.

Many thanks

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 09.27.19.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JasonWang

JasonWang_0-1650115203315.png

Hello, 

You need to create a chat before sending message to the that chat, and then select User instead of Flow bot, chose group chat and conversation ID by the chat you just created. hope this can help. 

Cheers!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JasonWang

JasonWang_0-1650115203315.png

Hello, 

You need to create a chat before sending message to the that chat, and then select User instead of Flow bot, chose group chat and conversation ID by the chat you just created. hope this can help. 

Cheers!

DoubleSupercool

Hmmmm, thanks for the reply, but it is not working as expected. My reading of the help files is that Create Chat is attempting to create a completely new group chat (hence the title), but it seems that if you are trying to send to an person you have already messaged, it just spins.

The below example just has one row in excel with; Email address, first name, last name, number of absences, class number and maximum allowed absences. The email address I am sending to is a colleague who I have messaged before. This and the previous example both work with Flow Bot.

Rk4VbPwVPL.png

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DoubleSupercool ,

I think @JasonWang 's soluition is great.

Please Use group chat as @JasonWang 's suggestion instead of using custom value .

vxiaochenmsft_0-1650351534201.png

Best Regards,

Wearsky

DoubleSupercool

Auuuugghgh, I just realised I didn't read @JasonWang's response correctly. I have tried it again, and will check tomorrow!

Always good to have someone re-check your mistakes! Thanks!

DoubleSupercool

Checked and seems to be working great. Thanks, @JasonWang and @v-xiaochen-msft 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,025)