cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
analyst31
Level: Powered On

Excel spreadsheet that is housed in Sharepoint (List rows present in a table)

So i had built a flow for an approval chain that has been working. It was connected to a shared Excel sheet on OneDrive ( Business ), but the team that controls the spreadsheet now stores it on sharepoint. I have access to this site, but now i need to change up my flow. I havent been able to find that specific site as an option on the "Locations" options for the "List Rows Present in a table", is there another connector i need to use now? Also, this sheet is now password proctect. So when i open it in sharepoint, it now must be opened on the desktop because of this encryption ( I lost my battle trying to tell them they didnt need to lock it if they are granted certain access to sharepoint). Is this being encrypted going to be a problem? 

Flow-Before Sharepoint.png

10 REPLIES 10
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Excel spreadsheet that is housed in Sharepoint (List rows present in a table)

The list of sites that shows up in the connector dialog is just sites that you've recently visited.  Just navigate to the site in the Browser and then copy and paste the URL address for the site in using the Enter Custom Value entry at the bottom of the list of sites.

However the password protection is a bigger issue.  I don't know any way for Flow to open a password protected Excel workbook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Super User
Super User

Re: Excel spreadsheet that is housed in Sharepoint (List rows present in a table)

@analyst31 

I agree with the comments made by @Pstork1 .

Here is something that you might try as a solution for the worksheet protection issue.  Please note that I have not yet tested this, but it is worth a shot.

Rather than selecting the Protect Worksheet option in Excel, try the Allow Users to Edit Ranges option on the Review ribbon).  This option allows for the worksheet to be protected but it also allows you to specify users by name who can edit a specified range.  You might try defining a range within the worksheet and configuring the protection to allow you to edit the range.  If the connection is using your credentials, this may/may not work for you.  Give it a try.

Scott
analyst31

@Pstork1 

I have tried that but still getting some issues with the Document Library. The folder seems to be in a bunch of other folders and nowhere do I see the document library, like i do for the other sharepoint sites i have.

Flow - Doc location.png

Should the Document Library be pre-populated once i have given the link for the "location"?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

According to your screenshot you are already looking at SitePages, which is a document library.  Try entering the site URL again.

analyst31

@Pstork1 

So once the location has correctly been entered, will the document library give me a drop down to choose from, or will i need to find the url for that as well.

Annotation 2019-06-26 094313.png

Thanks

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes once the site is entered correctly it should show you the list of document libraries.  There are a few special ones, like site pages, that get filtered out. But the regular ones should show up.

Make sure to get the URL from the Site itself.  It looks like you are trying to get it from a sharing link (docs....) to the Excel spreadsheet.  That won't work since it bypasses the site and document library.

analyst31

@Pstork1 

So it turns out this site, unlike the others ive worked with, is actually On-Premise and is housed on a server of ours. Does this still create an issue with connecting with Flow?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

It shouldn't really matter other than the fact that you need to go through a gateway to get to an on-premises installation.  The version of SharePoint might matter also.  What version is it?  PowerApps will work with anything back to SharePoint 2013.

analyst31

@Pstork1 

Sorry about not getting back to you, ive been on holiday.

I believe we are using SharePoint 2013, but i can clarify with the IT team. Can i use the same on premise gatewaythat is on my desktop for PowerBI that i use? Or does this need to be a different one that is on the server in which SharePoint is housed on?

Thanks!

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Yes, the gateway you use for PowerBi should also work for PowerApps and Flow.  Note: for PowerApps and Flow premium licensing is required for using the on-premises gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,769)