cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeppevatane
Frequent Visitor

Executing a query and sending it to email with Power Flow

Hello all,

I'm new to Power tools and I need some help! I'm trying to create a flow which goes something like this: 

Step 1. Execute a query that finds new contracts from our database, query below

SELECT
t1.Name'
,t2.SocialSecurityNo'
,t2.emailaddress'
,t2.telephone'
,t1.value'
,t1.createdon'
,t1.contractnumber

FROM .[dbo].[contract] AS t1
LEFT JOIN[dbo].[pro_contact] AS t2 ON t1.id = t2.Id
WHERE  t1.createdon >= DATEADD(HOUR,-1,GETDATE())

AND t1.contractnumber = 29201019

ORDER BY createdon desc

Step 2: Send the results to a specified email

As it happens, I am running an on-premise gateway, so the 15 minutes I was planning on this project turned out to be much longer. Is there a way to do this?

KR,

jeppe

13 REPLIES 13
ManishJain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Can you please share more on querying part. Are you trying to connect to OnPrem database and using it in Online CRM version ? 

If so please follow the below url to connect : 

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-connect-on-premise-sql-server-from-microsoft-flow-using...

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4918/microsoft-flow-and-sql-server-integration-example/

Thanks

Hi  @ManishJain and thank you for your links! We have a Dynamics-based CRM and therefore we have a OnPrem database where I extract the data from. I am trying to extract contracts that have been created within the last hour, which I will send to our partner automatically. This information will be extracted with SQL Management Studio from our crm database.

When I am trying to create the flow (Execute a Query), I get this error message "Gateway GetPassThroughNativeQueryMetadataAsync - this operation (Get Native Sql Metadata) is currently not supported using an on-prem gateway connection"

jeppe

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Thats great. If you follow the links for connecting to On Prem gateway and use Execute a Query action to retrieve data from database. 

In Order to send formatted email you can use following url :

https://spmaestro.com/handling-json-in-microsoft-flow/

Thanks

Hi @ManishJain ,

When I am trying to create the flow (Execute a Query), I get this error message "Gateway GetPassThroughNativeQueryMetadataAsync - this operation (Get Native Sql Metadata) is currently not supported using an on-prem gateway connection". 

jeppe

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Please share your flow screenshot.

Thanks

Hi @ManishJain 

Here is a picture of my flow, it immediately gives me the error message. It's in Finnish, but the SQL step is "Execute a Query".

jeppevatane_0-1594720630848.png

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Even I got the same message. Please try to use Get rows(V2) action instead and specify your server name , database and table name. When you click on show advanced option you have other fields which you can use to further narrow down the data you want. 

Thanks

Hi @ManishJain ,

But I can't join 2 tables in the "get rows"-step, can I?

jeppe

Hi @jeppevatane ,

With on-prem gateway currently it is not supported . Might be you can do two calls where in based on first call try to get data from second table.

Thanks

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Please follow this url : 

https://flow.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/powerquery-flow/

Thanks

Hi @ManishJain ,

I don't think that works for me, as I need to check results every hour and only print new contracts that have been created within the last hour. How would I do this with power query?

Edit. I managed to get my power query working as wanted, but sending an html table to my email seems to be the next issue. I get the following error when trying to create an html table: "The 'from' property value in the 'table' action inputs is of type 'Object'. The value must be of type 'Array'."

jeppe

Hi @jeppevatane ,

Can you please share screenshot of table data output. Possibly you need to do compose first and see which item to be picked for loop.

Thanks

jeppevatane
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ManishJain , 

I made it work! My flow goes as follows: 

jeppevatane_1-1595402242423.png

1st step: Recurrence once a day

2nd step: We find two relevant tables from our SQL server, filter the created column to find contracts created today and finally merge the tables together, deleting irrelevant columns

3rd step: Select Data - we parse the result with the select data-step and name the selected values

4th step: we create a table from the output of our parsing

5th step: We send the result html table to a selected email address

Thanks @ManishJain  for your help!!

jeppe

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,363)