cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrNigel
Level 8

Exit a flow using Terminate in a Condition action

Simple request this, but cannot find the answer in the forum.....

We have a form that contains a StartDate and EndDate.  As there is no way of doing client-side date validation we test the dates right at the beginning of the flow and reject the request with an email to the requester informing them of the error.  All this works fine, but when I try to use the Terminate action to halt the flow I get the familiar error message:

TerminateFlow1.PNG

THe requirement is: if the branch is Yes all we want to do is send the email and stop the flow.  How do we halt the flow?

Tks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Exit a flow using Terminate in a Condition action

OK, it wasn't clear from the original post what the loop was processing.  And that is why terminate isn't allowed inside the loop.  What we really need is the equivalent of the Break statement, which breaks out of a loop.  But that's not the same as terminate. Terminate is like Exit or End.  The problem is if allowed it would be unclear to users whether they were terminating the Loop or the Flow.  I understand for your situation its more work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
manuelstgomes
Level 10

HI @MrNigel ,

There is no decent way to stop the "Apply to Each". There is a request  under review by Microsoft:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Exit-from-quot-Apply-to-Each-quot/idi-p/30760

There's a workaround, but I admit it's ugly. In the IF and inside the "Apply to Each", store in a variable all the emails that you want to send. After that, you need to do your "Send email to the Requestor" based on that variable.

I know it's inefficient letting the "Apply to Each" run until the end but, until we have a way to stop it, we need to use stuff like this.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
Manuel

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I don't think you actually want to do a terminate.  You are inside a ForEach loop, which means you are processing multiple requests in the Loop.  If you do a Terminate you will stop the flow and no additional requests will be evaluated.  I suspect you just want to terminate this one request.  Here's how I normally handle that

1) Initialize a boolean variable outside your loop that will control what your loop does.

2) Do a Set Variable as the first action inside your loop and set the variable you created to False.

3) Do a Set Variable where you were placing the terminate action and set the variable to True.

4) For the rest of the loop check that the variable is False before you do additional actions. That will keep the loop from doing anything after it finds an incorrect entry.

5) When the Loop starts on the next entry #2 will reset the control variable to False, so that entry will be processed if appropriate.

If you do want to shortcut the Loop then do the same thing, but omit step #2 and set the initial value to False in #1.  Then when you find an error the loop will continue, but nothing further will be processed.  Then you can test the variable when you exit the Loop and terminate if its still True.

Highlighted
MrNigel
Level 8

@PS - the issue is that I really DO want to Terminate and do nothing more.  If StartDate is greater than EndDate it is an invalid request that is rejected immediately, none of the Flow actions after the date test should be 'skipped' or run.

The other issue is that thanks to it being a form trigger, Flow has put the majority of the Flow in one big 'Apply to each' loop. I have already seen the variable solution posted on the forum so I went down that route, but ultimately I have to use a Condition action to test its value and that must be done outside of the main loop if I want to Terminate.

I have no idea what the logic is in making it so difficult to terminate a flow when a condition is met that necessitates that action.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

OK, it wasn't clear from the original post what the loop was processing.  And that is why terminate isn't allowed inside the loop.  What we really need is the equivalent of the Break statement, which breaks out of a loop.  But that's not the same as terminate. Terminate is like Exit or End.  The problem is if allowed it would be unclear to users whether they were terminating the Loop or the Flow.  I understand for your situation its more work.

View solution in original post

MrNigel
Level 8

You are 100% correct, 'Break' is EXACTLY what is required to exit a loop.  Too obscure for UserVoice......

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Its been requested and you can vote for it here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Flow-loop-break/idi-p/166125

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,429)