cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TBuente
Level: Powered On

Export list item to Excel and email?

Hi,

I am currently trying to make a flow that will allow users to input data into an app, and hit a button at the end, that will export the input into an Excel sheet, and then email that excel sheet to specific emails. Is there a way to do this?

I can either have a button, or have the flow begin when a new sharepoint list item is created; however, the button is prefered. 

I have my app done, where users can input their info, and submit, which creates a new Sharepoint list item; however, the app is useless if I cannot automate the exportation, as well as emailing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Export list item to Excel and email?

Hi @TBuente ,

It seems that the type of this field you want to reference is Choice, and if so, select Choice value when selecting Dynamic content.

For example, I have a field type of Choice and a field name of Status. You need to select Status value when configuring.

Image reference:

21.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You are on the right track utilizing a SharePoint "jump" list, so the data is stored in the SharePoint list once the button is clicked, and when the SharePoint list item is created/updated that triggers the creation of the Excel spreadsheet.

Writing directly to Excel can be a nightmare due to it's connectors many known issues and limitations, I always recommend using a SharePoint list as the central data storage, and then just initializing the Excel file creation from there.

It can work the other way around too, so if you are accessing data in a speadsheet, do it only once to import to a list, then manipulate the data once it is in a list. This reply shows the basic steps needed to create an Excel spreadsheet for each item in a list. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

TBuente

So the reason I need an excel sheet of the list item is so I can help our accounting department. When the form is created, accounting needs to take the information, and input this into our invoicing system. Currently, they do all of this by hand; however, there is an option to import an excel sheet with this invoicing system. If I can have users input all of this information, automate the excel creation (from the list item when created), and then emailed to the accounting department, this would save roughly 20-30 minutes per form, which would be ridiculously efficient.

My current problem (being new to flows), is that I do not know how to turn this list item into an excel sheet. I do know how to automate the email, but I am completely lost on the exporting to an excel file part.

Is there a guide or an easy way to go about doing this?

Super User
Super User

@TBuente wrote:

So the reason I need an excel sheet of the list item is so I can help our accounting department. When the form is created, accounting needs to take the information, and input this into our invoicing system. Currently, they do all of this by hand; however, there is an option to import an excel sheet with this invoicing system. If I can have users input all of this information, automate the excel creation (from the list item when created), and then emailed to the accounting department, this would save roughly 20-30 minutes per form, which would be ridiculously efficient.

If the software also allows for CSV import, I highly recommend utilizing CSV over XLSX. Exporting a list to Excel is possible, it's just not effecient. A good rule of thumb with Flow is to avoid Excel if and when possible.

@TBuente wrote:

My current problem (being new to flows), is that I do not know how to turn this list item into an excel sheet. I do know how to automate the email, but I am completely lost on the exporting to an excel file part.

Is there a guide or an easy way to go about doing this?

Please see the link I provided with my original response for how to create an Excel file from a list:

@Brad_Groux wrote:

It can work the other way around too, so if you are accessing data in a speadsheet, do it only once to import to a list, then manipulate the data once it is in a list. This reply shows the basic steps needed to create an Excel spreadsheet for each item in a list. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

TBuente

Thanks a ton for all the assistance, I have gotten the flow to work with creating a CSV. I only face one problem now, which is the output on some columns.

{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":1,"Value":"***Column Value***"}

I am getting this as the value for some of my columns. While yes, this does have the correct column value, I need it to show just *column value*.

Do you have any Ideas on how to limit this? I am using a People and Groups column for this specific value im referencing.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @TBuente ,

It seems that the type of this field you want to reference is Choice, and if so, select Choice value when selecting Dynamic content.

For example, I have a field type of Choice and a field name of Status. You need to select Status value when configuring.

Image reference:

21.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 177 members 6,175 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: