cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expressions don't edit nicely

So when I want to make a change to an expression I click on the expression and it pops up the expression editor. I make my changes and then...

* sometimes I get an "invalid expression" 10 times in a row, confirming and clicking on "Update" again and again until it accepts it

* sometimes it looks like it it worked but when I hover over the expression I realize it totally ignored my edits

I do this Over. And. Over. And. Over. Again. And eventually I can get my changes to be accepted. Obviously I have learned to copy my expressions to the clipboard before I click "Update" because I will almost undoubtedly have to reenter them a dozen times.

Surely I'm doing something wrong? Wrong browser? Wrong method of editing? I can't believe that a whole community of developers would put up with this kind of frustration without rising up en masse?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PLBowers ,

It is true that the current Expression editor is very small and only allows input on one line, so it is very unfriendly when editing the expression.

Our usual practice is to add a Compose below and then back up the edited Expression through Compose while editing the expression.

A lot of users have already posted similar suggestions to improve the expression editor. Please consider voting for these ideas so it might be considered for future releases.

Spoiler

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @PLBowers - This is what we have to live with in my experience..

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hey @PLBowers 

Yeah everyone has been kinda facing that. Here are some tips:

1. After updating the expression, better copy it before hitting the update button. 

2. After updating the expression, bring the cursor to the right most end and leave it after the expression and you will not see the invalid expression issue. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PLBowers ,

It is true that the current Expression editor is very small and only allows input on one line, so it is very unfriendly when editing the expression.

Our usual practice is to add a Compose below and then back up the edited Expression through Compose while editing the expression.

A lot of users have already posted similar suggestions to improve the expression editor. Please consider voting for these ideas so it might be considered for future releases.

Spoiler

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,834)