cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extract Information from a String

Anybody an idea how to extract informations from a string?

My String looks like follow:

"OELGA ON LOWG 01/26 0127Z ON RPT DEP: LOWW - 4 VIENNA DEST: LOWG - GRAZ"

The following function finds "DEP:" in the string but takes the 4 Digits form the beginning of the string.

Output: "ELGA"

I would need the 4 Characters after the found "DEP:"...

utput should be: "LOWW"

if(contains(body('Html_to_text'), 'DEP:'),substring(body('Html_to_text'),1,4),'')

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MVP

Hi @bsa1975

Your substring function is returning a string beginning at index 1, which is the 2nd character (the first character has an index value of 0), hence you're getting ELGA. So what you want to do is find a way for the substring to begin just after 'DEP:'

Here's a function that should work for you:

if(contains(body('Html_to_text'), 'DEP:'),substring(body('Html_to_text'),add(indexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'DEP:'),5),4),'')

Here's what this does, reading sort of from the inside of the expression outward:

indexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'DEP:') finds the index location of the beginning of the DEP: string (which I'm assuming would only occur once). In your sample string, that index would be 33.

add(....,5) adds 5 to that index number, because you want the string which begins after DEP:[space]  - In your sample that's 38.

substring(body('Html_to_text'),...,4) returns a string from your input string which begins at index 38, and returns 4 characters, hence in this case LOWW.

Does that make sense...? I hope this will help you with using string functions in general - they're quite powerful!

Sandy

Sandy
@SandyU

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MVP

Hi @bsa1975

Your substring function is returning a string beginning at index 1, which is the 2nd character (the first character has an index value of 0), hence you're getting ELGA. So what you want to do is find a way for the substring to begin just after 'DEP:'

Here's a function that should work for you:

if(contains(body('Html_to_text'), 'DEP:'),substring(body('Html_to_text'),add(indexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'DEP:'),5),4),'')

Here's what this does, reading sort of from the inside of the expression outward:

indexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'DEP:') finds the index location of the beginning of the DEP: string (which I'm assuming would only occur once). In your sample string, that index would be 33.

add(....,5) adds 5 to that index number, because you want the string which begins after DEP:[space]  - In your sample that's 38.

substring(body('Html_to_text'),...,4) returns a string from your input string which begins at index 38, and returns 4 characters, hence in this case LOWW.

Does that make sense...? I hope this will help you with using string functions in general - they're quite powerful!

Sandy

Sandy
@SandyU

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Sandy, 

thank you. That works great!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,781)