cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chad_Mitchell
Frequent Visitor

Extract JSON string data from variable populated from PowerApps Collection

I have been doing a lot of research and continue to struggle with how to work with data I received from PowerApps.  I had to use JSON to pass a collection with an embedded table to MS Flow.  The data looks like the below screen shot when I receive it in the variable in Flow.  I really just need to get the email address from that string array.  I have tried many iterations of substring, split and other expressions with no luck.  Any idea how I can extract only the email address to be used later in the flow.  There are about 65 items in this list.  The real problem I am having is the "email": being passed with the data due to the embedded table of data in PowerApps.

[
{
"email": "email address here"
},
{
"email": "email address here"
},

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chad_Mitchell,

The instance you provided is an array, so you could input it into an Apply to each action to loop through all items, then use the expression:

item()?['email']

to get each email address:

Annotation 2020-06-18 134056.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@v-litu-msft 

that did it.  I used parse JSON after the variable and then the apply to each you suggested.  I now have all the email addresses.  Just need to get them back in a string so I can send the email.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chad_Mitchell,

The instance you provided is an array, so you could input it into an Apply to each action to loop through all items, then use the expression:

item()?['email']

to get each email address:

Annotation 2020-06-18 134056.jpg

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-litu-msft 

I tried what you suggested.  My problem is the variable I am getting from PowerApps seems to be a string even though it is in the array.  Here is what I got when trying your suggestion.  I tried it using the Variable first and then a compose into the apply to each.  Wonder if I need to convert it to an array first. 

Chad_Mitchell_0-1592575065417.png

@v-litu-msft 

that did it.  I used parse JSON after the variable and then the apply to each you suggested.  I now have all the email addresses.  Just need to get them back in a string so I can send the email.  Thank you.

Hi @Chad_Mitchell,

You could initialize a string variable, then loop through all emails and append them + ";" into the string variable, then you could get a string that only contains emails:

Annotation 2020-06-23 172841.jpg

Best Regards,

That is perfect @v-litu-msft .  I really appreciate the help and getting me moving in the right direction. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022- Season 2 has kicked off!

Users online (2,123)