Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PGRAF
Regular Visitor

Extract different parts of an Email Body

Hi there

Sorry, if it already has been here.

I want to extract different parts of a standard emailbody.

It normally looks like this:

Hello,

You have a new Document

XYZ-123456 000 01 Document 5 Manual

Please do not reply

I want to extract the following:

Type: XY

Number: 12345678

Number2: 000

Version: 01

Title: Document 5 Manual

Only the title can have different names. The Type has always 3 characters, the number is always 8 characters long, the number2 is always 3 characters long, the version is always 2 characters long.

After extraction i want to paste them into the corresponding cell in a sharepoint list.

Can someone help me here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@PGRAF 

First of all you need to start your flow based on when an Email Arrives and then I believe you are receiving these emails with a specific subject, so you can have a subject filter like below, so you are only processing these emails:

Mira_Ghaly_0-1639606650973.png

The next step is to convert the Email from HTML to Text and then Parse the Text by using Split operations but you need to be specific on the number of new lines between each one , so I can provide a full example to you but if you gave me exactly how the email will be formatted with new lines.

Mira_Ghaly_1-1639606945745.png

Expression:

split(outputs('Html_to_text')?['body'],variables('newline'))

The output of this will be as below, an array of Strings so to pick the line you need to parse you need to pick the 6th element of the array which you can get with the below expression:

split(outputs('Html_to_text')?['body'],variables('newline'))[6]
[
  "Hello,",
  "",
  "You have a new Document",
  "",
  " ",
  "",
  "XYZ-123456 000 01 Document 5 Manual",
  "",
  " ",
  "",
  "Please do not reply",
  "",
  " "
]

Then you need to do further split by ' ' and then get first element of the array and split by '-' and so on.

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@PGRAF 

First of all you need to start your flow based on when an Email Arrives and then I believe you are receiving these emails with a specific subject, so you can have a subject filter like below, so you are only processing these emails:

Mira_Ghaly_0-1639606650973.png

The next step is to convert the Email from HTML to Text and then Parse the Text by using Split operations but you need to be specific on the number of new lines between each one , so I can provide a full example to you but if you gave me exactly how the email will be formatted with new lines.

Mira_Ghaly_1-1639606945745.png

Expression:

split(outputs('Html_to_text')?['body'],variables('newline'))

The output of this will be as below, an array of Strings so to pick the line you need to parse you need to pick the 6th element of the array which you can get with the below expression:

split(outputs('Html_to_text')?['body'],variables('newline'))[6]
[
  "Hello,",
  "",
  "You have a new Document",
  "",
  " ",
  "",
  "XYZ-123456 000 01 Document 5 Manual",
  "",
  " ",
  "",
  "Please do not reply",
  "",
  " "
]

Then you need to do further split by ' ' and then get first element of the array and split by '-' and so on.

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
PGRAF
Regular Visitor

Hey thank you very much. It really worked. 

darkhorse12
Helper I
Helper I

Hello,

I am New to Power Automate,

Can you please help me with,

Hello Xyz,

Your Receipt # 121232 is your order .

Task: When i receive mail, it should create file in one drive, with name #121232(it has multiple numbers), But we have to save file like this only,

can you please helm me.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,049)