cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Extract email address from email body - compose works on all other items I'm extracting except for the email address

I've created a flow that extracts everything I want from the body of an email but it fails to extract an email address. As I typed up this post I did more research and found that the 'at' sign is special and even within text it can be interpreted as something else. One solution I found said to use a second 'at' sign to escape it '@@'. How do I add a second symbol to the text output before I extract it?

The flow is triggered by the arrival of an email and converted to text from html. 

Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 9:38 AM
To: cycling <recref@nowheremd.gov>
Subject: Online Form Submittal: Request a Scheduled Collection

REQUEST A SCHEDULED COLLECTION
First Name

Mary

Last Name

Holt

Address

12 Main St

City

Nowhere

State

MARYLAND

Zip

Email

mmmmm2@yahoo.com

Phone

Type of Collection

Bulk (non-metal items), Metal (e.g. appliances, metal fencing)

Please list the materials for pickup

bikes chair headboard outside glider

Tips for a Bulk Collections Pick Up

* Group materials together and separate by type. Avoid mixing different
material types.
* Materials must be easily accessible. Not blocked by vehicles.
* Avoid putting materials under power lines. Our trucks cannot pass underneath
them.

Email not displaying correctly?View it in your browser.
[http://www.nowheremd.gov/Admin/FormCenter/Submissions/Edit?id=99999&categoryID=0&formID=243&displayT...]

I used a series of compose steps to extract the data: For example,

trim(first(split(last(split(body('Html_to_text'),'First Name')),'Last Name')))

extracts Mary

As I said in the beginning, every item I was is extracted except for the email address

trim(first(split(last(split(body('Html_to_text'),'Email')),'Phone')))

The output shows this:

[http://www.nowheremd.gov/Admin/FormCenter/Submissions/Edit?id=99999&categoryID=0&formID=243&displayT...]

The pattern works after the email also: 

trim(first(split(last(split(body('Html_to_text'),'Phone')),'Type of Collection')))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Extract email address from email body - compose works on all other items I'm extracting except for the email address

Thanks for your reply. The email you would have seen would only have been different in its display of the \n between the words in the plain text I pasted in. I don't think it would have provided any more insight. However, I will remember that just because I can paste an email into one of these posts I should paste it in as an image.

I knew about replace but I realized that you would need to know the specific email address every time in order to use it. However, something in your email did give me the idea to try searching google with "power automate search string" and that led me to https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Flow-Find-Isolate-Value-within-a-String/t...

which was almost exactly my question. 

This was the answer that worked for me. 

trim(split(split(body('Html_to_text'),'Email:')[1],'Phone Number:')[0])

I understand everything in that line except for the square brackets. What do they mean?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Extract email address from email body - compose works on all other items I'm extracting except for the email address

Hi @mapguymike,

You could replace() function to add the second "at", for example:

replace('Test@email.com','@','@@')

On my side, I can't see the screenshot of the output you shows, you could insert the photo into your post directly when you write the reply by clicking the "Camera" button:Annotation 2020-05-11 151226.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for your reply. The email you would have seen would only have been different in its display of the \n between the words in the plain text I pasted in. I don't think it would have provided any more insight. However, I will remember that just because I can paste an email into one of these posts I should paste it in as an image.

I knew about replace but I realized that you would need to know the specific email address every time in order to use it. However, something in your email did give me the idea to try searching google with "power automate search string" and that led me to https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Power-Automate/Flow-Find-Isolate-Value-within-a-String/t...

which was almost exactly my question. 

This was the answer that worked for me. 

trim(split(split(body('Html_to_text'),'Email:')[1],'Phone Number:')[0])

I understand everything in that line except for the square brackets. What do they mean?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mapguymike,

The output of split() function is an array, for example:

split('Test1,Test2,Test3')

the output will be:

[
"Test1",
"Test2",
"Test3"
]

The square brackets mean the sequence of the array number, the first member is [0] - "Test1", the second member is [1] - "Test2", the third member is [2] - "Test3".

After the array using the square brackets could extract the member of the array directly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank for the time to explain it to me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,067)