cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Knapster
Regular Visitor

Extract plain text from the body of an email

Hi, I'm having trouble trying to create a flow that will extract plain text from an email and adding the information to Power BI

I have the link between Flow and Power BI working but im stuck on the expression so I can add the relevant text to the datafield.

The email is already arriving in plain text, example below:

CUSTOMER: Bill Gates

REFERENCE: REF1234

TYPE: Fuel

USAGE: Domestic

QUANTITY: 1250 litres

PRICE: £506.25

I've tried using:  substring(body('Html_to_text'),add(lastIndexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'CUSTOMER '), 10),25)

But I dont need to use the HTML converter as the email body is already plain text

Any help would be appriciated

2 REPLIES 2
efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!

Let's assume each row is delimited by a new line.  If so, one alternative is to use split function 

splitSplits the string using a separator. For example, this function returns ["a", "b", "c"]:

split('a;b;c',';')

If you manage to first identify new line characters (this is the tricky part) you will have each row as an independent element of the output array. Then you need to apply the same strategy per row; but in this case using ":" as the separator.

There are several threads in this community discussing how to identify new line characters, like this one:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Replace-Newline-in-Flow-Expression/m-p/58873

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Knapster,

Which relevant text do you want to extract from the email body?

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow’s configuration?

I think it is necessary to add “HTML to text” action in your flow, because, Microsoft Flow would get body message as a html format, the screenshot as below:

I assume that you want to extract “Bill Gates” text, I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:12.JPG

Within Input field of “Compose” action, please type the following formula:

substring(body('Html_to_text'),add(lastIndexOf(body('Html_to_text'),'CUSTOMER'), 10),10)

The flow works successfully as below:13.JPG

More details about the usage of expression, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-workflow-definition-language

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (56,492)